100s of free trachycarpus plants

redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

if anybody fancies the challenge of dividing up bucket loads of trachycarpus plants,they are welcome to collect free from bs48 area.
back in the day,i over enthused planting bucket loads of seeds with the idea of potting them on as they grew.
hundreds,if not a thousand sprouted and have been in the large tubs ever since.all are over 6 years old, many are well and truly palmate,(developed fan leaves).
pm me if interested,we are tidying the garden and I have too many decent sized trees to warrant growing any more and could do with these buckets,tubs and trays gone.

on another note,anyone visiting cornwall this year,pop into Trevena cross nurseries,they have the most fantastic selection of yuccas,palms,cacti etc that I have seen in years.just like the old days before it went downhill. ps,make sure you take a boat load of cash too tho,they are not cheap :wink:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hi Darren...I thought I was seeing a ghost!,are you still as keen or got bored. I was only thinking of some of the old members recently, i'm living in a mini jungle here so no palms required thanks.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Darren,

Lovely to hear from you again, hope you are well. I to will not be taking you up on your offer. I am still planting out palms you gave me years ago! :lol:

I'm so glad you posted this, years ago you sent me some seedlings from seed you got from Max unfortunately I could not read the note you sent with them as it got wet in transit and was unreadable. However these Trachycarpus seem to be moving sideways, which cuts the possibilities down a bit. Can you remember what they were, icon_scratch I know its a bit of a long shot.

Hope the garden is going well. icon_thumright

Kind regards .(Jungle Jas.)
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi guys,i still have a passion for the exotics but mainly the survivors from eons ago. I don't buy many now as what I have are now good specimens.ive got my first waggy seeds this year from a palm centre purchase around 2005-7 ish.taken a while to mature but the last couple of years have seen my trachies rocket upwards, (I wonder sometimes if a sewer drain is leaking nearby fertilising them lol)
Deb and I like more colour around the place now,old phart syndrome creeping in maybe.
chainsaw kid (jas) I cant remember what I sent mate, I used to get a buzz just germinating the seeds so much so I planted hundreds of everything I got my hands on but the ones I sent would be the ones I still have here by the big bucket load.
id much rather someone took them even if only to give away as it would be criminal to bin them when they have done everything on their own all these years
charliep

Post by charliep »

Good to hear the pair of you are still enjoying your garden Darren. If you still bring the dogs down to Cornwall drop in for a catch up
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Hi Darren, you kindly sent me lots of seeds around 8 years ago. They took over a year to germinate for some strange reason and I neglected them for a few years but have now made decent little palms. I've given lots away and still have half a dozen or so left to eventually plant out (God knows where!)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Charlie,Kris. we were down last week and went past.i did wonder if you still went for your walks.
Kris,i cant for the life of me remember which seeds were what now but they were certainly tough cookies. mine have also been totally neglected and like you,after watching others mature into decent trees wouldn't know where to plant any more.
im already planning removing one as in my wisdom,planted it under the overhead cables coming into the house,the gap between the 2 decrases somewhat each year at a very noticeable rate