Chammy flowering

otorongo

Chammy flowering

Post by otorongo »

I've spotted two yellow flower heads on my chammy.

Should I remove them so the palm puts its energy into vegetative growth? Or keep them on? I'm not interested in germinating the seeds, but I guess I could sell them on ebay.
karl66

Chammy flowering

Post by karl66 »

Mine all flower like clockwork... ive never seen an advantage cutting them off, plus they look lovely.
chainsaw kid

Chammy flowering

Post by chainsaw kid »

I always cut my flowers off to get maximum growth. Then 2 years ago Karl told me not to and said he liked the look of them, so I left them on. Now I always leave them on, I like the look of them to! Also I haven't noticed any slow down in growth. icon_cheers icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chad

Chammy flowering

Post by Chad »

Chamaerops humilis is usually dioecious although a sucker may 'change sex'. So unless you have flowers on two plants you are unlikely to get seed set, and it is seed production that tends to significantly slow down vegetative growth.

Chad
chainsaw kid

Chammy flowering

Post by chainsaw kid »

In light of what Chad has just said, I'm going to try a different tack this year. I will let all my palms flower and then cut the flower storks off before they develop the seeds. Hopefully the best of both worlds. icon_cheers icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.