Stubborn Bougainvillea

weleasewoger

Stubborn Bougainvillea

Post by weleasewoger »

bougainvilla 1.jpg
I bought two about 4 years ago, they're overwintered in a heated greenhouse, kept slightly moist and come into leaf around mid March after which watering and feeding begins. They then go outside late May.
However this year one plant has stubbornly refused to show any leaves or bracts yet if any of the branches are scratched there is green growth underneath (photo 2) so it's not dead.
Any idea of the cause and how I can get the plant into growth?
Attachments
bougainvilla 2.jpg
bougainvilla 3.jpg
chainsaw kid

Stubborn Bougainvillea

Post by chainsaw kid »

In he words of John Cleese It needs a dammed good thrashing! Alternately leave it alone it will stop sulking eventually. How long has it been in that pot? Does it need repotting? icon_scratch icon_thumright
Last edited by chainsaw kid on Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
weleasewoger

Stubborn Bougainvillea

Post by weleasewoger »

No doesn't need repoting, no where near rootbound, properly watered and fed.
chainsaw kid

Stubborn Bougainvillea

Post by chainsaw kid »

I have had it happen to me in the past, normally they start on there own but sometimes seem to struggle for the rest of the year. Which is always annoying. icon_rambo Sorry I can't help good luck it would be a shame to lose it. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
charliep

Stubborn Bougainvillea

Post by charliep »

A lot depends on the mixture of species in its genetic make up, a lot of the best hybrids for us in the UK prefer a cold dry winter and can sulk if kept too warm. I would put it somewhere with plenty of sun but very little water and keep fingers crossed
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
GREVILLEAJ

Stubborn Bougainvillea

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

I've heard that misting the shoots and keeping the roots as dry as possible sometimes triggers growth.