Protea.

chainsaw kid

Protea.

Post by chainsaw kid »

Any one growing these successfully outside? If so which one? I have read some will withstand -6C but that is sellers bumf, so is probably unreliable. Thanks Jas.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
charliep

Protea.

Post by charliep »

There are several species at Tremenheere outside but that is very coastal we are too cold to even think of trying!
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
chainsaw kid

Protea.

Post by chainsaw kid »

charliep wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:55 pm There are several species at Tremenheere outside but that is very coastal we are too cold to even think of trying!

Hi Charlie ,you speak for your self, I couldn't be more costal my front garden wall is the sea wall!!!!!! :lol: However I agree I may be on the wrong coast. icon_scratch Do Tremenheere have a plant list of the contents of the garden? icon_thumright

The Kid.
GREVILLEAJ

Protea.

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Proteas do well on free draining low nutrient soil particulately low phosphates (which are often toxic to Proteas). Assuming you have a mild location and garden on sand, you probably have near perfect conditions for them, Jas. Should be able to Google details of the hardiest and have a number to choose from.
charliep

Protea.

Post by charliep »

Don't think there is an online list but you could ask Neil Armstrong the owner, he pops up from time to time on GOTE
These are a couple I have spotted there but as I said I am no expert and I would normally only point the camera at stuff that was doing something so there are likely to have been more genus and species (you will have to work out what they are as I have no idea!)
Image022 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Its one of the large shrubby things in the back ground - I put it more to show they survive long enough to get big!

Image023 by charliepridham, on Flickr

THere is a good chapter on growing this family in "Gardening On The Edge" not sure if it is still in print
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
chainsaw kid

Protea.

Post by chainsaw kid »

Thanks for the replies

Grev, you are right my soil conditions are perfect however I do get the occasional -5C. :roll:

Charlie, thanks for the photos, I will try and identify which one they are growing although a lot of them look very similar.

The Kid.
bodster

Protea.

Post by bodster »

didnt see this chain. I posted a new thread in the public forum showing the ones I'm growing