Can my Lapageria be saved?

otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Last year I got a Lapageria and it died over the summer. I attributed it to the heat as it was a hot, dry summer and it was planted in a spot that would get a fair bit of sun.

This year I got another one and planted it against a north-facing wall and near a N-E corner where it doesn't get much (if any) sun, maybe a little bit in the early morning hours (like 4-6am). It's already showing the same signs as last year's one - the uppermost leaves have turned brown. The weather has been far from hot and dry, so it must be something else.

While planting it out, when I took it out of its pot, the soil fell apart, so I planted bare roots and nothing like a rootball. I've heard they dislike root disturbance. Could it be that? If so, is there any way to save it?
tatter

Post by tatter »

They do need a mild shady spot. Acid to neutral soil. Dislike cold drying wind and wind chill is the biggest killer and can turn leaves brown. Hope this may be of help
They prefer rich damp soil . Are not fully frost hardy and may need additional protection in winter or moved indoors/greenhouse
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
charliep

Post by charliep »

I would put it back in a pot and protect under cool glass watch for aphids and make sure you don't over water it.

They are very easy to kill until they reach around 7 years of age. I raise several hundred per year but only get a few dozen to saleable size each year. and even well established plants in our National collection of Lapageria cultivars occasionally die for no apparent reason so I have learnt to get cuttings and layers going as soon as the plant is big enough

Imagelapageria house 001 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Its only once they start flowering you realise why on earth you grow them!
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Years ago I planted one at the previous house I was staying at and it did get established, i.e. it grew, flowered and proved hardy, at least over the couple of winters I had it before I moved.

Charliep - it's summer now so seeing its slow demise I'm not worried so much about the cold of the upcoming winter, I need to get it through the summer first, and considering their native habitat is cooler than the London summers, I don't imagine a greenhouse being helpful.
If it makes it through the summer, it should be ok over winter. It's planted against the wall of a heated building and under a ~20cm deep overhang.
charliep

Post by charliep »

Greenhouse wasn't for heat, mine are very cool and shady, I was more concerned to prevent root rots because if they are not growing then they cant cope with wet conditions. I dont think they are especially tender, -8c is normally no problem although -12c will cause damage to the stems especially the newer growth.
Anyway sorry if I confused you with the greenhouse reference it just that that is were I put stuff I want to have control over the watering
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

I watered it generously during the cool and rainy period (April, May), thought they liked plenty of water

I attend to my plants rather erratically and like to keep it low-maintenance, so a greenhouse wouldn't work for me other than for some drought-resistant cacti maybe. Even if I disciplined myself to water the plants in the greenhouse regularly, they'd die the next time I went on a 3 month long holiday.

The good news is, no more leaves on the lapageria have browned since I made the original post, and I've just spotted new green shoots icon_cheers Not sure if I should resume watering now that it's dry and warm? We hit 35C here yesterday.
Last edited by otorongo on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

otorongo wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:27 pm I attend to my plants rather erratically and like to keep it low-maintenance, so a greenhouse wouldn't work for me other than for some drought-resistant cacti maybe. Even if I disciplined myself to water the plants in the greenhouse regularly, they'd die the next time I went on a 3 month long holiday.
Then why not put an outside tap on a timer? We have had to put another outside tap on for that reason. We couldn't use the existing one for everything as the hose would cross the driveway.
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Chez2 wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:57 pm Then why not put an outside tap on a timer? We have had to put another outside tap on for that reason. We couldn't use the existing one for everything as the hose would cross the driveway.
That's an option. But I've heard those automated watering setups and not reliable, not in the 'set, forget and go on holiday' way anyway. Also with the way I've designed the garden, there is no suitable place for a greenhouse. I do have a shed with a big south-facing window, but I wouldn't want a pipe burst to ruin it. It can still protect things like cacti or perhaps even brugmansias, as long as I remember to water them a couple of times over the winter.

I prefer the 'permaculture' style to moving root-bound and starved potted plants back and forth and relying on dubious technology.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

otorongo wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:04 pm I prefer the 'permaculture' style to moving root-bound and starved potted plants back and forth and relying on dubious technology.
icon_clown icon_cheers :lol:
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

otorongo wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:04 pm But I've heard those automated watering setups and not reliable,
We haven't had a problem and ours has been in a year. We have one running a hose and the other runs a misting system. Ours waters a 30 by 18 foot polytunnel so it has lots of drippers running off of it and the misting system.

We set it in spring and adjust as the plants grow and the weather warms up. Its watering out tomatoes, melons, cucumbers and peppers. The drippers are set to suit each pot requirements.

If you put a lean to greenhouse against your shed the house wouldn't be in your shed.

We have seen a solar powered timer which pumps from water butts. They use it on TV on the Scottish gardening programme. I fancy trying that too.