Yucca Rostrata Planting Advice

Immers

Post by Immers »

Hi there,

I'd appreciate some advice for a novice to these particular plants...

I've recently purchased two 6 foot Yucca Rostratas (one has a twin head). I'm thinking of potting them up for now rather than planting in the ground as winter is just round the corner. I'm based in Huddersfield with a south facing garden which does get hit with the wind as its quite open.

I'm aware they need free draining soil and the 'killer' to the plant is damp, wet roots and also the heads. Also transfering between pots and snapping the roots is obviously no good.

Would keeping them indoors over winter with plenty of light (next to South facing window) with average temp of 18-20c all day round be ok? Do people keep them as Permenant indoor house plants if they don't plant into the ground?

I'd like to get them planted outside but worried that they will get too wet and also the wind factor - I read someone had the misfortune of having the Rostrata head snapped off due to wind.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm shopping around for a large pot and will then have to stake them as they are quite heavy and tall....

Many thanks
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

We planted our yucca rostrata out about four or five years ago. The first two winters we kept a table over it to keep the rain off but if the foliage touches anything it gets marked. The last two or three winters it has been left uncovered. Its windy and exposed where we are and we have found its best left uncovered to let the wind dry the moisture off. We have several other plants which are similar. We have had more problems with the wet summer combined with heat causing mould on the tight new growth than we have in winter. We are on well drained soil on a south facing slope.

We have had one of the more common yuccas snap in high wind. We have double pallisade fences to filter the wind and the plant was below fence level.
Immers

Post by Immers »

Thanks for the info....yikes about one getting its head snapped off behind a fence.

I've just potted both mine for now outside and will move indoors when the weather starts to turn. I'm hoping to plant into the ground next April/may with lots of grit (10mm gravel) and slope it away for water to run down (thinking of creating an arid bed of sorts).

Worried about them being top heavy and having the same issue with the head getting damaged as both are 6ft+ and one has a double head.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Its not just any fence, its a double pallisade ie it will filter / diffuse and slow the wind. A solid fence just causes turbulence and can make it calm directly behind the fence but much worse a little way from the fence.