Conservatory replacement causing overwintering issues

karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hope all goes well Dave, it's horrible having dust and disruption in your home...we have it here at present.
Our high performance sbs felt systems are far superior to any DIY fibre glass roof membranes but for a domestic property you should be ok...make sure you get the relevant paperwork for guarantee etc
Karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Bit of a disaster over the weekend. With the high winds and torrential rain, the tarp got damaged and let water in. First I knew about it was power tripped off on Sunday lunchtime :-o As I'm an ex-computer engineer, know how to fault find the electrics. so was up and running again in about 20 mins.

We were hoping to save the old ceiling as was artexed and matches the other half of the lounge, although it was budgeted for replacing them. I had to call them out Sunday afternoon, but was little they could do by then. They patched the tear, to prevent more water getting in, but the damage to the ceiling was done. Monday they completely reboarded the roof, Hurricane proofed the tarp, and all other work is being done from the inside with the ceiling removed. Essentially I now have a completely new roof.

Never known such a wet period, and doesn't look like is over yet.
IMG_20191112_112646_HDR.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

That looks a good solid job dave...nice to see it all bolted up properly aswell.
You don't need to remind me of the rain,its been killing us lately .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

karl66 wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:14 pm That looks a good solid job dave...nice to see it all bolted up properly aswell.
You don't need to remind me of the rain,its been killing us lately .
It's a family run company called Deaves, that installed my mahogany windows and conservatory 32 years ago. The fact that a family run company 32 years ago, is still in business now, is a sign of their quality. Several members who were involved in my original work, are still working for them, so sound a good employer as well. The salesman, and surveyor remember my original work.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Roof been insulated with celotex type insulation, and believe it or not, they fibreglassed the roof on Thursday. We were in the centre of the low pressure and was a bit like the eye of a hurricane, sunny and calm, but could see the rain bearing clouds, to the south and east, but they stayed away. Lantern is due to be fitted on Monday :)
IMG_20191113_120338_HDR.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

That's coming on Dave, the light will be the cherry on the cake.
I see your going all modern with spotlights!...should look lovely .
karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

karl66 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:22 pm That's coming on Dave, the light will be the cherry on the cake.
I see your going all modern with spotlights!...should look lovely .
karl.
The electrician is not going to be happy. He cut all the holes out of the original ceiling, now they have removed it.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by chainsaw kid »

Dave your job looks as if it is coming along well and hopefully you will be in the dry soon. Interesting that you decided to go for a fiberglass roof as did I. I did speak to Karl before I started mine so I know he is not that keen on fiberglass as he has had to replace some failed fiberglass rooves. Which came as a bit of a surprise to me as I always thought of fiberglass was bomb proof if done properly. Having pondered on what he said for a couple of days the only way I could see a fiberglass roof failing was if there was moisture in the boards before the fiberglass was laid. To that end I bought tonged and groove boards that were stored inside, kept them dry after they were delivered, chose a dry day then boarded and fiberglass the roof in one day, hoping I was not storing up any rot problems for my self! Unfortunately having to put a roof on in the sort of weather we are having at the moment has meant that was impossible for you. Any way look on the bright side, At your age you will probably be long gone be for the roof shows any problems. At least that's what I thought, but then I am a bit older than you 69!!!!!! :D :lol: :roll:
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.