Colocasia ID

GREVILLEAJ

Colocasia ID

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Thought I'd bump this up again after a few years to see if more light can be shed on this mystery Colocasia.

It was bought as a dry tuber of Xanthosoma violacaea. Once it grew it was obvious I had a Colocasia. The similarity with the deep colour of the stem was obvious but the leaf shape was definitely not Xanthosoma.

C.Pink China has a darker eye that matches it's darker stem but on this mystery Colocasia there is a white eye on the leaf in stark contrast with dark stem. Bigger than pink China it has certainly proved to be as hardy. In the unheated greenhouse both keep at least one leaf all winter. It also clumps in the same way as well as produce stolons. The stolons on this unnamed variety are short and stubby. This has multiplied as freely as Pink China over the years.

it is a mystery why this has not been named. It may well be a 'one-off' because I would have thought that if known it would be as popular and freely available as others like Pink China.
rps20191127_222411.jpg
GREVILLEAJ

Colocasia ID

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

The collies have spent the entire summer sitting in a shallow pond with large leaved Cannas and Gingers. They were all lifted for winter housing so now look a bit drawn.
rps20191127_223403_797.jpg
The more sun on the stems the darker the colour. The one at the back was quite shaded
ourarka1

Colocasia ID

Post by ourarka1 »

I have some very similar looking ones, that again were missold as 'Dark Leaf Illustris' (which they clearly aren't). My research suggests they are some kind of unnamed dark stem hybrid ..... they're very cold tolerant though, which is good news.
GREVILLEAJ

Colocasia ID

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Would love to see some pics. Do your 'Dark leaf illustris' keep at least a single leaf all winter?

It would be interesting to see images both Summer and Winter as well as see how the stolons form on yours, O1.
ourarka1

Colocasia ID

Post by ourarka1 »

Have put some pics of my 'dark stem hybrid' here, if indeed it is the same (it certainly looks it). As I say, mine is very cold tolerant - probably the most of any colly that I have. My dark leaf illustris were quite the opposite and, in fact, I'm not sure I have any left as they were so difficult to get through the winter.
Attachments
Winter - this is my one that is planted out. As you can see, a bit worse for wear but still trying to grow even now.
Winter - this is my one that is planted out. As you can see, a bit worse for wear but still trying to grow even now.
Winter - this has been outside in a sheltered spot.
Winter - this has been outside in a sheltered spot.
Winter - a look at the stolons. Definitely a 'runner' not a 'clumper'.
Winter - a look at the stolons. Definitely a 'runner' not a 'clumper'.
Summer - front left is the same one from the top photo. The shorter one on the right is a slightly different type (can't recall exactly what!)
Summer - front left is the same one from the top photo. The shorter one on the right is a slightly different type (can't recall exactly what!)
GREVILLEAJ

Colocasia ID

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Thanks for the pics, O1. Stem is definitely a similar shade but the leaf shape is more of an arrowhead with a dark eye. Mine is more rounded and heart shaped with a white eye. I'm sure you're right about hybrid genes and I'm convinced that our two collies are related :wink:

The stolons run more on yours. Mine is grows as a clumper and will pup from very short stolons. Yours looks like a C. 'burgundy stem' variant which would also account for it's relative hardiness. DB has grown this variety with it's variants. Perhaps he can verify yours.

Interestingly, I found the original thread for my mystery Colly and hadn't realised I put it out six and a half years ago. Both you and Dave among others made some valuable contributions but couldn't arrive at an ID.

I don't know how to put up a link but the thread was entitled "Wrongly labelled - ID for this Colocasia?
ourarka1

Colocasia ID

Post by ourarka1 »

Yep .... agree there are a few differences now I see them next to each other! I'm learning there are few rules when it comes to Collys, especially when getting to grips with all these hybrids that are emerging! Doesn't matter though - makes for interesting gardening and seeing what works for each of us.

I'd actually prefer it if this was a clumper ..... I'd like to increase my stock but never have much luck propagating the runners ......
charliep

Colocasia ID

Post by charliep »

They are surprising tricky for something that looks as if it runs about! I only have Colocasia fontanesii but it goes through a winter here outside although I always keep a pot full on the go as well just for back up

Image002 by charliepridham, on Flickr

Image001 by charliepridham, on Flickr
I would love to get a clump of this going up behind one of the ponds :)
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk