Brahea edulis

Mario999

Brahea edulis

Post by Mario999 »

Hi.

I've been slowly trying to create a tropical garden for the last couple of years and have an empty corner that needs filling.

I've seen a nice Brahea edulis for sale on Hardy Palms and wondered if people have had much success with them?

I'm based in Nottingham for info.
otorongo

Brahea edulis

Post by otorongo »

I'm in outer London and have had a Brahea edulis in the ground for 3 or 4 years. The lowest we've seen must have been around -6C. No damage at all, not even superficial.
My washies (admittedly smaller than the B. edulis), on the other hand, defoliated completely and I eventually binned them as was too impatient to wait for them to resprout.

So I would say hardier than washy, possibly much hardier.

In the winter I often go away for 2-3 months and I do stick a ball of fleece in the growing point of the Brahea before I go, just in case, but seeing how the leaves don't suffer from -6C at all, protecting the growing point is probably not needed here.
Mario999

Brahea edulis

Post by Mario999 »

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Nottingham, so probably a bit cooler, but they sound a lot hardier than I though. Sounds like they are worth a go. icon_thumright
GREVILLEAJ

Brahea edulis

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Plant in a sheltered suntrap if you can.
chainsaw kid

Brahea edulis

Post by chainsaw kid »

Mario, Edulis is supposed to be hardy to -8c but does not like it wet and cold at the same time. How cold does it get in your garden? I recently bought a Brahea Armata which has similar hardness, but I prefer the blue colour. I bought mine from eBay. I recommend planting in full sun in free draining soil. Jas.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Mario999

Brahea edulis

Post by Mario999 »

Looking to plant it in a corner near two tall fence panels, which should give some protection. I wouldn't say it's an overly exposed location but can get cold at times.
chainsaw kid

Brahea edulis

Post by chainsaw kid »

I'm not sure about edulis, but mine also is supposed to be very wind resistant which is useful were I live on the coast. I also know it should grow in North Wales as some one else is growing one. icon_thumright

The Kid.
chainsaw kid

Brahea edulis

Post by chainsaw kid »

I'm not sure about edulis, but mine also is supposed to be very wind resistant which is useful were I live on the coast. I also know it should grow in North Wales as some one else is growing one. icon_thumright

The Kid.
Mario999

Brahea edulis

Post by Mario999 »

How would I improve drainage? Just dig some sand into the soil? Thanks.
chainsaw kid

Brahea edulis

Post by chainsaw kid »

I can't say with out knowing what sort of soil you have and are you on a slope? icon_thumright

The Kid.
Mario999

Brahea edulis

Post by Mario999 »

Flat, but quite a heavy clay soil.