Trachycarpus Waggie help!!

alboymac1983

Post by alboymac1983 »

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some information about the “waggie” palm, i bought a 8ft and two Cordys for my garden which has recently been landscaped, absolutely delighted with my waggie palm, it’s the centre piece of the garden.

Problem I have is the birds keep trying to steal the fibres on the trunk, can you tell me is this normal and will it harm the palm in any way? Do the fibres grow back? I’ve put a membrane sheet round the trunk to stop them going for it just now but it spoils the look of the palm and would like to take it off. Any ideas?

Thanks everyone.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

It happens to me most years but more so this year? icon_scratch Don't be a meany let the birds have a bit of nesting material. :lol: icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
alboymac1983

Post by alboymac1983 »

Lol, thanks for reply. When you see about 3 magpies attacking your poor palm tree you hit a rage lol.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Good luck with your restyled garden. I only have t i t s plucking at mine! :lol: Jas.

The Kid.
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Plant Arundo donax. I have hyperactive, nest-building starlings who are stripping the leaves off this and leaving waggie well alone. icon_thumright
Gary the flounder

Post by Gary the flounder »

For anyone who's tried to strip a Trachycarpus trunk, I say the more the birds take, the better!
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Mac, I was also going to say some people actually strip their Trachys.

The Kid.
tracky ted

Post by tracky ted »

I have 9 trachys in my garden 4o years old . I have on occasion seen birds pulling at fibers and thought go on help your selfs plenty there for every one. Seen pictures of trachys were owners have stripped the lot off. They like the look of the trunk with notches on similar to Phoenix canariensis. Would help frost protection but not lets think about it being that cold.