Cordy replant

Palmesan

Cordy replant

Post by Palmesan »

I moved a cordy today since the wife and kids insist it’s it the way,

I managed to rock it out (on a whim).without much force, it’s roughly 6meters high and had a small root ball, when rocking it out I heard a few crunch and cracks but when it was out it looked fairly in tact, it’s quite thin, I’d say about 150 mm in diameter at the base and about 70mm at the leaves, it’s never flowered either. I packed it in a hole with chicken pellets and compost, topped with some of the original clay based soil I dug up and soaked it.

Do you think this will die? I read it could take several months to show signs of dying but I hope it doesn’t, any tips?

Thanks
chainsaw kid

Cordy replant

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Palmesan, Cordys don't like being moved I have killed a few trying, but I wish you luck. You may be successful, don't be it to much of a hurry to give up on it as it may shoot again, probably not from the top. Let us know how you get on. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Palmesan

Cordy replant

Post by Palmesan »

Thanks for the reply, although it doesn’t look spectacular it’s well established so it would be a shame if it died.
I’m just keeping the roots soaked throughout the night since the move. I might post some pictures tomorrow as well as some of my other collections.
GREVILLEAJ

Cordy replant

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

The only one I ever moved that lived was a 'just starting to trunk' specimen. As it was only in the ground eighteen months it's survival chances were pretty good. But it was not quite straight forward.

I had planted it as a lawn specimen back in the autumn of 1985 for a landscaping project but it was turned to mush by the savage freeze of January 1987. As there was no sign of recovery the following spring the client asked me to take it out and put in something else that would be hardier. In went a Trachycarpus and I took home the Cordyline rootball. I dumped it in a large pot and shoved it in the greenhouse to see if the extra warmth would make it reshoot. I forgot about it after a couple of waterings but halfway through the summer I was going to bin it when I saw a number of tiny shoots appear..

I kept it for two years in its pot and in 1990 I began to create my exotic garden and planted it out where it now stands as a multi-trunked and branched five metre high specimen about to throw out this year's flower display.

Moral of the story....... I hope your Cordy was only recently planted!!
Palmesan

Cordy replant

Post by Palmesan »

GREVILLEAJ wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:31 pm Moral of the story....... I hope your Cordy was only recently planted
Ha, it was planted around 6 years ago!!

I’ve stripped the leaves back to hopefully help root growth (read this somewhere else) to the point it looks a bit silly which is a right shame given the size it is in my small(ish) garden.

I’ll post pictures when I figure out how to do so.

I’m not expecting it to do much but will keep you progressed with how it goes.