Sonchus from seed

IsyG

Sonchus from seed

Post by IsyG »

Hi everyone,

I was watching Gardeners World and saw what, after a bit of google searching, I think was a Sonchus fruticosus. I'd love to get one for my garden, but can only seem to find seeds being sold. Does anyone have experience of Sonchus seed propagation?

Thanks,

Isy
chainsaw kid

Sonchus from seed

Post by chainsaw kid »

I brought some Sonchus seed back from the Canneries two years ago they germinated and the seedlings were overwintered out side. I have some planted out in the garden. They germinated without any problem at all. However the seed was fresh, I picked it myself. icon_thumleft

EDIT, I should have said I don't know which Sonchus it was, however it was from Grand Canaries but quite low level so I doubt it is very hardy.
Last edited by chainsaw kid on Tue May 19, 2020 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chad

Sonchus from seed

Post by Chad »

I have grown most of the 'dendro-sonchus' often with seed from rareplants.eu.

It is nearly always viable.

They don't like heat though, so at this time of year I wouldn't use 'extra' heat.

Of all the species I've grown, fruticosus is actually the best and the only one that is fairly reliably hardy unprotected in the open garden [Cornwall].

Even it isn't perfectly hardy and I always keep a cutting protected inside in case I lose the main plant.

Chad

ps. Was it Mike Clifford's garden?

He is only about 30 miles away from you and once restrictions are lifted he would probably sell you a plant.