The Pond

Melissa

The Pond

Post by Melissa »

We started the pond way back in 2003 :shock: is been a long journey but at last we have water in it now icon_thumleft

It's not finished yet but this is the start of the story :D
PICT0013.JPG
PICT0013.JPG (100.21 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
PICT0015.JPG
PICT0015.JPG (89.75 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
These first 2 show the land before we started work, 03
Start big pond Sept 2003 009.JPG
Start big pond Sept 2003 009.JPG (132.45 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
We had a digger in for 2days to flatten the area
Start big pond Sept 2003 020.JPG
Start big pond Sept 2003 020.JPG (101.85 KiB) Viewed 2074 times
Day 2, the pond shape was roughly dug out
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG (123.91 KiB) Viewed 2054 times
2004, starting to get some plants around the area
IMG_0157.JPG
IMG_0157.JPG (119.87 KiB) Viewed 2058 times
Garden 2004 255.jpg
Garden 2004 255.jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
Keith looking at how much he's got to dig out
pond area Aug 05 012.jpg
pond area Aug 05 012.jpg (130.85 KiB) Viewed 2044 times
Digging out the pond 05
pond area Aug 05 016.jpg
pond area Aug 05 016.jpg (142.7 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
pond area Aug 05 038.jpg
pond area Aug 05 038.jpg (129.53 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
Starting to build the retaining walls
Garden bank 05 166.jpg
Garden bank 05 166.jpg (112.5 KiB) Viewed 2031 times
It's getting late :( so next instalment to come tomorrow :D

Melissa
Steve in D.C.

Re: The Pond

Post by Steve in D.C. »

Wow , what a dream pond. I'm sure you could grow the odd Tropical Water Lily in there and get a Lotus bed going. N.capensis and N. Pamela are two Tropicals that will grow with less heat than many. I started with N . capensis seeds a few years ago and got flowers in eight months.
Cannot wait for the next lot of pics
Later
Steve
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Melissa

did you plan for it to be that big from the start? Or did Keith get carried away with the digging?

regards

John
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Wow Melissa :shock: Having seen the completed hole, and helped get the liner down there, I did not have a clue about the history of it. Definately a long term project :lol: Built like Rome.... not in a day. At least you appear to have a sand base icon_thumright ........ my soil is super heavy clay apparently heavier than lead icon_thumbdown :lol: :lol: :lol: looking forward to the next installment :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Steve,

You forget the cold summers! Nelumbo and tropical waterlilies need warmer summers then the English ones. Only on a south facing wall in a very sheltered spot Nelumbo will do flower with some luck. The water needs to be at least 20 Celcius.

Alexander

tiMM
Steve in D.C. wrote:Wow , what a dream pond. I'm sure you could grow the odd Tropical Water Lily in there and get a Lotus bed going. N.capensis and N. Pamela are two Tropicals that will grow with less heat than many. I started with N . capensis seeds a few years ago and got flowers in eight months.
Cannot wait for the next lot of pics
Later
Steve
Nick

Post by Nick »

What a beautiful Pond/Lake your going to have there, can't wait to see the next instalment of photo's, please hurry them onto the forum, will you have fish within or is it just ordememtal :?: what ever it is going to be or what ever it is going to be used for it is lovely, what are you doing with all the sand that gets dug out of the hole :?:
WOW icon_sunny
Steve in D.C.

Post by Steve in D.C. »

No I'm not forgetting the cold Summers, what I'm remembering is that James Knock was told a few years ago you could not grow Lotus in the UK. Well James grows them in plastic tubs and flowers them every year. James also grew N.capensis outdoors and N.Pamela outdoors. There are Lotus and Water Lilies that will give good results in a UK location and many parts of the South of the UK are as warm as my garden in France. In my garden in France I flower and propagated Tropical Water Lilies for four years. I grew Lotus for two years , started from seed. Experimentation that's the key and never say never.
With Melissa having a large body of water the temps maybe consistant enough for Lotus to flower and to grow the odd Tropical Water Lily.
I grew my first Tropical Water Lilies from seed because you could I buy any . Six years later there are 5 or 6 places to order Tropical Water Lilies.
Smart gardening is all you really need, make the best of what you have and find the best plants for your conditions. Smart Gardeners help too like the guys who flower Lotus every year in the UK , Paul Spracklin has flowered Lotus in his pond for the past few years. I know for a fact that they get no special attention and just make do each year. I know James Knock makes new hybrid Aquatic plants every year and garden test them. He has had some wonderful successes that one of these days I hope will fill the Nurseries around the UK.
Keep experimenting and making hybrids and one day one will crack it.
All the Best
Steve
Attachments
Propagating Tropical Water Lilies in a Plaster mixing tub with an aquarium heater.These are plants from seed in there third year.Location is North of Paris France
Propagating Tropical Water Lilies in a Plaster mixing tub with an aquarium heater.These are plants from seed in there third year.Location is North of Paris France
Old pic of a N.capensis that I grew from seed and placed outdoors in a white plastic tub with no heat other than the Sun.Location North of Paris France
Old pic of a N.capensis that I grew from seed and placed outdoors in a white plastic tub with no heat other than the Sun.Location North of Paris France
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Steve in D.C. wrote:Experimentation that's the key and never say never.

Smart gardening is all you really need, make the best of what you have and find the best plants for your conditions.
Hear hear! icon_thumleft

John
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Wow Melissa, what a project! Great piece of work though, it'll look great once planted up! I absolutely love (as I may have said before) the overhanging tree ferns, as well. Keep us posted, and I'm looking forward to the next installment!

Steve - I'll add Nymphaea Capensis and Nymphaea 'Pamela' to the list to grow in bacl tubs then :lol: Might try and Lotus or two from seed as well...as you said, experimentation is the key!

Pete
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Thanks guys, most of the projects in our garden are big :shock: but this has got to be one of the biggest :D

Steve, we have always thought that once the pond was done we wanted to try to grow some Lotus plants :D We were very impressed with Pauls growing in his pond, they looked wonderful :D

John, it's always been our intention to have a big pond, it needed to be to sit well in the garden icon_thumleft

Nick, all the sand has been used to make the concrete for building the walls :D nothing goes to waste here. No fish, as the idea is to be able to swim in it :shock:

Melissa
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Melissa wrote:No fish, as the idea is to be able to swim in it :shock:

Melissa
Melissa

you could have fish that give a pedicure whilst swimming :shock: ....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... cures.html

(Make sure Keith keeps his trunks on though :ahhh!: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

KentGardener wrote:you could have fish that give a pedicure whilst swimming :shock: ....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... cures.html

(Make sure Keith keeps his trunks on though :ahhh!: )

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

John
EEEwweerr, I don't fancy that :shock:

Keith would need to buy some trunks if we had them :wink:

Melissa
Steve in D.C.

Post by Steve in D.C. »

More pics please Melissa. If I remember right you guys are in East of the UK in the drought area and should have more Sun than many parts of the UK , is that right ?
Later
Steve
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

Steve, yes we are in Norfolk but with all the rain we have had lately it doesn't feel much like a drought area :shock:

We have had a thermometer in the deep end of the pond for a couple of weeks and it has been fairly consistently at 20 :D

Melissa
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Colossal project, bloody physical :ahhh!: but well worth it! :DD

It was nice to see it finally filled up with water a couple of weeks ago after a five year process icon_cheers