Cotswold Wildlife Park pic intensive - resized images

mixiepalms

Re: Cotswold Wildlife Park pic intensive - resized images

Post by mixiepalms »

Andrew In Bracknell wrote:

However, some of the animal enclosures may leave a sour taste in the mouth, especially the wolves, lion and python who either lack enough space or any company.

Well if the animals are suffering in anyways I for one won't go, I went to Sarre windmill in Ramsgate a few years ago as our son is autistic and is obsessed with windmills, the animals were in such a state I had to report them to the RSPCA, they nearly got closed down cos of it. The pot bellied pigs hooves were so badly overgrown they were pointing upwards and the poor thing was limping, the goats were fitlhy. Made my stomach turn.

Sorry to dwell on this but animal welfare is a bug bear of mine.

Mick
Andrew In Bracknell

Post by Andrew In Bracknell »

Well, its not as if they are being mistreated or under fed, but one wolf was quite obsessively running up and down next to a fence, and you could see the path he had worn out. The python is bloody huge, but is in a room about the size of a normal lounge. Both the lion and Rhino are completely alone, and although they have a reasonable amount of space, they have nothing to do. Many of the other animals looked very happy, though, and its much better than zoos I remember when I was a lad. Obviously there are fine lines here with conservation/imprisonment/loss of natural habitat. Are we teaching kids to appreciate nature or that we should try to subdue it and lock up the interesting creatures for our entertainment? icon_scratch

All this to ponder and I just wanted to see some nice plants!!! :lol:
Libby

Post by Libby »

Can you go and just see the plants or is it an all inclusive ticket??
simon

Post by simon »

Libby, most of the exotic planting is in the walled garden which is also home to exotic birds and small mammals like meerkats and otters etc. It is all part of the zoo. It is meant to just set an exotic backdrop to the animals so you get the feel of being in the natural habitat. Most 'normal' people don't even look at the plants but just get the benefit of the effect they create. There are no separate gardens.

The whole zoo is set in well kept gardens and is a nice place to visit and sit and have a picnic.

Nothing I saw gave the impression that the animals welfare was not paramount. I saw more than one lion in the lion enclosure and I guess that Rhinos are naturally solitary beasts.
Andrew In Bracknell

Its all or nothing I'm afraid. Like I said, I don't think that there is anything untoward going on, just a lack of real provision in some cases.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Okey Dokey
Mark

Post by Mark »

Just bumping this thread up as AndyC and myself were talking about a possible meet in the summer. The pictures will give you an Idea of whats on offer.

So if there is interest maybe we could start planning a date?
Frank

Post by Frank »

It's a bit of a track but I seem to remember a few good nurseries around that area too. I'd love to go Mark as it's a great day out and I really liked it last time we went, 1st or 2nd January it was and freezing cold :lol:
simon

Post by simon »

Great idea, Mark. It would be a great day out for people with families (best of both worlds :D ). I recall someone saying that when UKOasis met there they were given a tour by the head gardener. It would be good if that could be arranged for us somehow.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Good idea Mark, fancied visiting for a while, we're in.
grub

Post by grub »

It'd be better to go later in the summer than now though :( . With the Birthday season nearly upon me we used to go every year about nowish (Cissie's Birthday on the 9th, Roo's on the 10th) and it was always just that bit too early, Tree ferns just moving and Nanas still wrapped :cry:
Andrew In Bracknell

Frank wrote:It's a bit of a track but I seem to remember a few good nurseries around that area too.
There might be, but Newington isn't one of them,
simon

Post by simon »

Andrew In Bracknell wrote:
Frank wrote:It's a bit of a track but I seem to remember a few good nurseries around that area too.
There might be, but Newington isn't one of them,
CGF isn't too far away icon_cheers
Frank

Post by Frank »

There might be, but Newington isn't one of them
:lol: You might by right Andrew, I just looked on the map and realised that all the places I meant were miles away. So ignore my comment .....
simon

Post by simon »

I guess it depends where you live. At least Newington is in the direction of home for us, Andrew - I have never been, is it worth a visit? I have just checked CGF and that is 27 miles in the wrong direction :lol: but might be on the way home for others.