Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT)

Nick

Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT)

Post by Nick »

EDIT (kentgardener): I have split this topic away from the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP thread.

icon_sunny Hi everyone, with all this talk about Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and with all info and PM'S that I've had come in, I thought I would ask if anyone has ever grown one of these palms?
This Palm looks like a Coconut Palm Tree and comes from Ecuador and Bolivia from high up on mountins at a hight of 3000Mtrs and surviving -7 on a regular basis, it's name is
Parajubaea Torallyii Var Torallyii, has anyone grown this before or seen it growing anywhere??? But feel free to continue with the main thread everyone, Thanks for everything so far: icon_thumright icon_thumright,
icon_sunny Nick icon_sunny
bodster

Re: Phoenix Canariensis Date Palms

Post by bodster »

I have one Nick. I'm not sure about the -7 though. there is a post on GOTE that talks about a guy in belgium whos had sucess with one outside but this is really experimental palm growing! Adrian has a lovely Phoenix canariensis_CIDP/robelenii cross that looks like a really nice palm that wont get too big. its a shame they're not eeasily available

The parajubaeas are available at Akamba if you want to experiment with one Nick. I saw them there a couple of weeks ago
Devonian Jungle

Post by Devonian Jungle »

Here is the largest one by far I have seen in the UK:
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Where about is that one James, its not a very happy looking palm!
bodster

Post by bodster »

is that the hybrid devonian? where is it?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hello again Martin, so you have one, whats it like and hows it doing, and where in your vast garden is it growing Martin????
bodster

Post by bodster »

its very nice Nick and in the conservatory. I was going to let it get a lot larger before risking it outside
Nick

Post by Nick »

O I see, Martin, thanks:
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Hello Nick! Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT) is still an experimental palm although reports are very promising as it came originally from a high altitude area that regularly gets frost and all, similar to most British winter conditions (or just Southern England at least). Also a Belgian guy did a 'trial' and his young palm sailed through a winter without getting any damage, no protection and went down to -7C. I know a few other members of EPS (European Palm Society) is commenting on their potential cold hardiness too.

Another one to keep an eye is Parajubaea torallyi var microcarpa (PTVM) which apprently is just as potentially hardy as PTVT but only smaller in stature in time.

Parajubaea torallyi var cocoides (PTVC) is the one to avoid as that one is much more tender.

I don't know anyone who has a big enough specimen to actually experiment with it yet. Some members bought young palms last year and they were only in the strap leaf stage. Just recently more older palms are being sold already in the feather leaf stage and they look good :) We both have PTVT and PTVM but won't risk them out yet.

They're not cheap though :( Size per size they are just as expensive as Butyagrus, if not more expensive. Urban Jungle is the one with the best price, they're selling PTVM already in feather leaf stage.

A very long reply, hope you don't mind! But if you have your heart on a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP then why not? :) As is said already, get the biggest palm you can afford and take advantage of the Autumn sales. We got ours September last year with a really good discount from Todds and planted out the following month!

Enjoy palm hunting :) Don't get stressed over it :)
Doug-Tews

Post by Doug-Tews »

Nick wrote:...Parajubaea Torallyii Var Torallyii, has anyone grown this before or seen it growing anywhere???
I just recently acquired a Parajubaea Torallyii var Microcarpa, which is very similar. Parajubaea's are fairly new on the scene, so not many people have had much experience with them yet. On the European Palm Society forum, there are reports of even young plants surviving temps of -5 or -6C with apparently little or no damage. For young plants that's an encouraging testimony of hardiness. Once past the seedling stage, they apparently have a good growth rate as well. Nonetheless, at the moment, they are still considered an experimenter's palm. In other words, don't expect to see them at B&Q anytime soon!
bodster

Post by bodster »

they have some nice parjubaeas at Akamba Mark. The one I bought last year is now 4.5 feet to the tip of the fronds so its a good grower. I paid £45 last year and akamba has some for the same price when i was there for the sale. They even had a large one of last years stock in the polytunnel though what price that was i didn't see
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Devonian Jungle wrote:Here is the largest one by far I have seen in the UK:
Is that a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP? if so it's the saddest one I have seen. Is it a recent transplant?

Big trunk, no crown :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

Hi everyone, Dave no it's not and your right it is a really sad looking speciman, it is a Parajubaea Torallyii Var Torallyii growing somewhere here in the uk, where I don't know you would have to go back a few replys to see, sorry dave can't be more of a help than that.
And MarkD, thanks for your info on these palms it has stopped me in my tracks, yes I do love the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP but as my garden is small there are lots of things to consider thats why I thought about the palm that Dave was asking about, I've had pm's galaw about this subject and with what I've now leared I now need to talk to Adrian first before I make my mind up 100%, as there are a few others that might suit my small garden better, but feel free those of you who have not made an entry yet to add to this thread, there's still time to join in, there will be some palms to chat about and advice to seek once I've spoken to Adrian, so please watch this space:
icon_sunny Nick icon_sunny icon_thumright
Damian

Re: Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT)

Post by Damian »

Thats the entrance to painton zoo! wondered what that palm was,
anyone got an up to date pic, be interesting to see if it made through last winter?.
Daniel

Re: Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT)

Post by Daniel »

Damian, the big palm in the picture outside Paignton Zoo was a Phoenix Dactylifera. It died a couple of years ago. Dactyliferas need more heat during the Summer than the UK climate offers. They can take low Winter temperatures but have to have a long hot Summer to survive.