Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT)

Alexander

Re: Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT)

Post by Alexander »

This Parajubaea comes from a high altitude in the Andes. But it grows in an arid climate with 2 to 3 months of rain and the rest of the year bonedry! And Although iot grows almost at 3000 meters and it can get -7 C there during the night, the days always get reasonable warm with at least 10 degrees in the coldest months, but 15 to 20 degrees is probably what it sees there after a -7 in the night. Do not forget you are within the tropicals there, so even in midwinter the sun is still very strong!
And its a slow growing palm. I know Kristof in western Belgium has one but if it will survive there? I doubt it makes a chance in our wet climate here with those freesing winters now and then! More a palm for Southern Europe and California I guess.

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well you can grow it in a pot or container and store it in winter somewhere frostfree and dry. Then it should be fine.

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

On the Trebrown nurserie blog there is a disciption of the climate where that Parajubaea grows. In the coldest month average temperature are 1C and 17 C. The warmest month 6 C and 19 C. So not a big difference between summer and winter!

Compair that to what a Trachycarpus fortunei Tesan has to face in the coldest and warmest months . In Tianshui, China, -15 C in winter is not uncommon and the number of icedays can be 25 a year. An Iceday is a day with the maximum temperature below 0 C.
Summers are warm offcourse with 28 C. I show this as an example.

Alexander
Vic

Post by Vic »

Definately worth a go outside as long as you are prepared to protect it. probably similar in hardiness to Phoenix canariensis_CIDP but obviously a bit slower growing. It did see a -4c before i protected it and no leaf damage. Mine is about 5-6ft and going through its first winter outside.........i'm hearing you all laugh icon_cheers :lol:
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I have an example of this palm. A buddy of mine started a batch of seed about 6 years ago and I got this one from him about 5 years ago.
It's in a five gallon pot and is 3' tall from soil level. The fronds are now just at the stage when they're begining to show a more pinnate look.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Dec.03-10 001.jpg
Dec.03-10 002.jpg
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Vic, mine has been subjected to that kind of low too, without a blemish, but I've put it in the shed while the weather's bad, but even there, the pot is frozen solid.

It's about the same height as your one [mine's one of Amulree's from last year], I'll only plant it out when it becomes too big, then I'll protect it as best I can each winter.
It also gets hammered about in high winds, so it's going to have to compromise it's position for a more sheltered/less sunny spot eventually.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

What sort of lows have you subjected yours to Barrie?
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Not much really ... -2°C perhaps. Being small and in a pot I don't want to push it's luck. As pointed out cold nights in their native habitat would be short and humidity would also be low. Dry cold is why so many things survive in such regions.

Cheers, Barrie.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Mine was out last Winter in a double bubble wrapped pot. The plant was under my veranda so had aerial protection. Didnt make a blind bit of difference. Dead as a Dodo. I would put this palm in the same bracket as Butiagrus nabonnandii. In other words not Zone 8 or even Zone9a
Vic

Post by Vic »

Yours is a great looking palm Barrie.

Andy, i agree with you ref hardiness, i'm just hoping that if i can get some good growth going and still protect for as long as i possibly can, that it will toughen up.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I have a small one planted out (still undivided leaves) & it came through last winter without a scratch, still looks good at the moment too icon_thumleft
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well maybe its hardier then I had thought. But its best chances are on the Scilly Isles I think!

Alexander
Vic

Post by Vic »

We could just do with a run of mild winters so that they can get a chance to establish.
Adam

Post by Adam »

nick i had a ptvt fairly big one which i protected and it completley rotted through last winter and we only got -6 so im not too sure about it, i am now trying the microcarpa variety see if i have any luck with that icon_blackeye
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Adam wrote:nick i had a ptvt fairly big one which i protected and it completley rotted through last winter and we only got -6 so im not too sure about it, i am now trying the microcarpa variety see if i have any luck with that icon_blackeye
Sorry to hear that, what did you do in the way of protection Adam?