What's your worst weed?

DavidF

What's your worst weed?

Post by DavidF »

I've just spent the afternoon digging and ripping out Alchemilla mollis by the armful. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
It only seems like a couple of months ago I thought I had it licked, and a couple of months before that too. I cut off the flowerheads but it just appears and appears and appears............

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So, what's your worst???
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Banboo :shock:

Particularly Sasa palmata. I break forks trying to get the stuff out, and just when you think it has gone it pops up in about 20 different places. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by MarkD »

Bindweed! We inherited loads but we're getting on top of it now.

Last year we cleared loads of overgrown Ivy :twisted:
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have 2 of them. A yellow oxalis with reddish leaves, and Viola labradorica. These get in every nook and cranny and pot in the garden.
The latter was provided by an Alpine Society I once belonged to as a special seed...............I'll say!
The joke is, labradorica are still sold in Garden Centres. In the summer I can fill buckets with the stuff.
It used to be hairy bittercress that was the problem. That took several years to eliminate.
Dave

Post by Dave »

oops sorry
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Dave, i have two, the first is a little oxalis with exploding seed pods that gets every were, the other i think followed me back from Spain i lapsed and let it seed once and now i'm paying the price.

Tony
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Prolific self seeders are a butter as well.

Last year nasturtiums took over our 'Jungle' area of the garden as we sowed the variety that grows a few meters long with big leaves. They've self seeded and been popping around all over the place all summer. Good thing they're easy enough to pull but lesson learnt :roll:
Carol JA

Post by Carol JA »

Blackberries, stinging nettle, horsetail, morning glory (not from DaveN22),big leaf maple, quack grass,and the neighbors dog ( I can't seem to get rid of that one, always comes back when I'm not looking)
Mark

Post by Mark »

I suffer with the same weeds as dave with the oxalis and the tiny violets.Also I have a dainty little tangerine poppy that tries to overtake the front garden and a little yellow one in the back garden. Along with Verbina Bonariensis and Muscari :x

I am soon going to try and dig up my Acanthus mollis as its too much of a bully and it keeps picking on my daylilly

Good thread btw
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The Oxalis seems particularly prone to coming in with Palms.

As Mark has said Bindweed - although almost sorted after 3 seasons - the trouble is the neighbours dont care so much, so it will always be gaining entry.

Also Ground elder - but again after 3 seasons its almost gone.

We had Japanese Knotweed very close to our previous garden (in the rear passage) and tried alsorts to kill it, but it was under control.
Don

Post by Don »

Allium ursinum, Wild Garlic.
It's a nice thing and has vanished by mid summer having shed zillions of seeds, each and everyone of those seeds germinates :cry:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Its sods law Don. If you bought a packet of seeds they wouldn't germinate :roll:
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

I planted some Allium Ursinum in the garden once, bloody Ray Mears. :roll:
Don

Post by Don »

Palmer wrote:I planted some Allium Ursinum in the garden once, bloody Ray Mears. :roll:
That makes sense--we have a few people who ask to harvest a bit for the "Organic Restaurants".
I am partial to grazing the stuff (it's free food) but there are limits.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Don,have you tried nettle soup and nettle tea.