The First Frost Warning

Nick

The First Frost Warning

Post by Nick »

Today on Wave105fm they were forecasting a warning of a frost for Saturday Morning with temps going down to a possable -2c, has anyone else had a frost yet, so I've wrapped my Washingtonia ready for winter, be it right or wrong, I am not prepaired to take any chances with it.
AndyC

Re: The First Frost Warning

Post by AndyC »

The thermometer outside under the eaves is showing +4.6C at the moment. I suspect there may be some radiation cold damage to some exposed leaf surfaces. It will be interesting to see which plants have suffered the most.
The forecast is for the wind to change diection today and bring cloud and rain with night time temperatures in double figures again for the next few days. Phew.
Andy
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Blimey, cant believe you are getting Wave that far up country.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

It went down to +3.1C here, and when I looked on wundermap (real time temps from 1000s of amature weatherstations across the globe, like mine) at 07:30 this morning, the coldest seemed to be around +3C. :wink:

I lose Wavefm as I come over the Devil's Punch Bowl at Hindhead on the A3.

We only need to worry about the truly tropical plants we have outside at the moment, as the near freezing by night, just into double figures by day, with the sun still around 30 degrees elevation, is no worse than the South of France winter offers. icon_salut

Having just seen the weather it appears that it will start raining just after lunch today, and tomorrow is a washout. Yet another weekend written off by the weather icon_thumbdown . If I was Chinese I would name 2008 "The year of the wet weekend" :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by stephenprudence »

Safe here, too windy for the temperature to drop down far, fell to 8.7C

The official coldest was in Benson I think, down to -2C but I dont think anyone lives there.

There were plenty more stations in the northeast particularly hovering around 0C
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

My outdoor thermometer is broken but my greenhouse one read 4C at midnight last night. It felt a LOT colder outside.

However, it started raining in the night and got very windy and a quick look around has revealed that nothing looks affected.

The forecast for the week ahead looks warmer (although the Beeb are still forecasting me a 0C tomorrow night again icon_scratch )
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

No frost here, but local weather stations says it went down to 2.1C, a bit too chilly for me but all the plants seem to be OK! Here's the next 5 night temps from BBC for me;
Apart from the 3 (which, to me, seems a bit out of place), they're not that bad. I really need to get the greenhouse sorted though just in case, and the wheel's come off on the door as well :roll: Typical...

Pete
pete G

Post by pete G »

It was frosty here this morning, my thermometer got down to +1C and its situated about 20ft from the house on a north wall.
The garden is fairly enclosed by bushes, but the allotment was white, everthing had a coating of frost and the grass was crunchy :(

Nanas seem to have been slightly damaged, other more tender stuff, I moved a few days ago, but it was close.

Cant remember getting a frost this early in recent years
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Hi,

No frost here too... Forecasted don't even like on frosty tempetures. This weekend is around the 8C... From monday tempetures are going too rise again if i must believe forecast. Around the 10C for the nights and 17-19C again for the day's... the night from tuesday on wednesday must be don't cooler then 14C...

We will see... but if we must speak about frost here is not.

Robbin
stephenprudence

I did remember getting absolutely blasted for suggesting that frost could occur at this time of year, unfortunately it looks like it has, and of course I wish there wasnt, not nice to see damage to some plants.

Its warm here now though at 16C
pete G

Post by pete G »

Well its 11C a raining now.

Hoping it will warm up as the rain sets in.
I've still got a couple of beaucarneas sitting out in it. :(
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I've still got a couple of beaucarneas sitting out in it.
I wouldn't worry too much about them at 11C Pete.

I left one out almost all winter and it took a couple of 0C's but then I got complacent and left it out for a few -5's too and it croaked :( .

Kept dry they are pretty tough.
pete G

Post by pete G »

Yeah, I know they can take some cold, but its wet aswell now.
stephenprudence

I'm a bit disheartened tonight, Ive had to leave my houseplants outside, I cant bring them in, they have all matter of insects from leaf munching to stinging, so i have to leave them outside. The worst problem is, that tonight its going to fall to 0C, its already 6.5C and will be 3C by about midnight I fear. I think I will have lost the houseplants by tomorrow, I've tried to hem them into the wall, but I am pessimistically looking at a low of -1C, I havent seen below 0C before October 31st in my life.. worrying times :( I just dont fancy losing my houseplants, I wasnt planning to take them in until November!

My only hope is that the dewpoints stay stubborn, if they do that will prevent hoar frost forming, and prevent the temperature falling, but if those dewpoints fall sharply then kerboom.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Today Sun 5th Oct, Farther rang to say that there is a risk of Frost again tonight possably, I hope it don't harm to much as not everybody is exspecting frost just yet :?: