Musa 'Veinte Cohol'

Randy4ut

Musa 'Veinte Cohol'

Post by Randy4ut »

Well, I think some of you know that I was lucky enough this past spring to get my hands on a Musa 'Veinte Cohol' pup. I just thought I would give anyone interested an update on how it performed here in SE Tennessee. Here is a link to a thread I started on the Hardy Palms and Subtropical board. Can't wait til next year!!!

http://members3.boardhost.com/HardyPalm ... 68885.html
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Musa 'Veinte Cohol'

Post by Dave Brown »

Randy, is this an edible fruiter..... never heard of it :roll: but will survive in your unheated garage. How hardy is it then :?: :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Randy4ut »

Dave Brown wrote:Randy, is this an edible fruiter..... never heard of it :roll: but will survive in your unheated garage. How hardy is it then :?: :)
Dave,
The Veinte Cohol is fairly new on the scene. It has been tested for the past several years for a viable option for commericial growing of bananas in the upper South. The big advantage of this variety is its fast growth and even faster bloom to fruit time. It is a small banana only growing to about 4 inches, but from my understanding the taste is very sweet. It is supposed to go from a 2' pup to fruit within 9 months. I got mine in April, I believe and it was a one foot pstem pup. I was a little dissappointed that it did not bear for me this year, but I should have no problem with it next as long as I am able to overwinter it in my garage. As far as hardiness goes, I believe it is listed as a Z8, but the reason I am trying it in my garage is because I overwintered an Ensete Maurelli in a pot without any damage. Keep your fingers crossed!!!
Here is a link to a little more info on it...

http://www.going-bananas.com/bananaplan ... TE%20COHOL
Mark

Post by Mark »

You were lucky to get one of those Randy. Its a nice looking one and supposed to pup like mad and not a monster so easy moved about without too much strain on your back :lol:

Its a hard to find one for us over here, I remember speaking to MarkD about it. His Parents live in the Phillipines and I was trying to get him to see if it was poss to locate one for me.

I am sure with your success in growing other plants you will be rewarded next season with some fruit.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That is a very interesting site Randy icon_thumright, although I must point out to any non musa people, all the heights are pseudostem height, not the whole plant, and seem to be on the small side from my experience.

Do you know if it is possible to TC Veinte cohol? If I ever manage to get hold of one I'm going to call it Al :lol:

Also interesting that Siam Ruby has edible bananas icon_cheers , I wait with baited breath icon_salut
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Randy4ut »

Dave Brown wrote:That is a very interesting site Randy icon_thumright, although I must point out to any non musa people, all the heights are pseudostem height, not the whole plant, and seem to be on the small side from my experience.

Do you know if it is possible to TC Veinte cohol? If I ever manage to get hold of one I'm going to call it Al :lol:

Also interesting that Siam Ruby has edible bananas icon_cheers , I wait with baited breath icon_salut
I am glad you pointed the height out to folks, as I used to get confused with it until I realized it was the pstem height. Yeah, they are very conservative with their estimations on heights. As far as the Veinte Cohol TC'ing, I do know there are several folks on the banana board that are trying this very thing and we should hear from them soon. I do think it is already being done, but I do not know who else has them as a TC plant.
Randy
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

I'll mention this to my parents next time I have a chat with them, to see if they can source one (or rather just dig them up somewhere in their area)

Interesting to see this Philippine banana thriving... well outside Philippines :lol:

Do you guys know why it's called Veinte Cohol (20 Snails)? icon_scratch

My parents have propagated some Musa 'Saba', Musa textilis, and Musa 'Senorita' for me but since I don't know when I'm going back for a visit they have all grown way too big to be taken back so they keep removing the pups and starting all over again :roll:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

MarkD wrote:Do you guys know why it's called Veinte Cohol (20 Snails)? icon_scratch
:
Is that what the fruit looks like...... or maybe it's a magnet to snails :lol:

I'd call mine Al :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Randy4ut »

MarkD wrote:I'll mention this to my parents next time I have a chat with them, to see if they can source one (or rather just dig them up somewhere in their area)

Interesting to see this Philippine banana thriving... well outside Philippines :lol:

Do you guys know why it's called Veinte Cohol (20 Snails)? icon_scratch

My parents have propagated some Musa 'Saba', Musa textilis, and Musa 'Senorita' for me but since I don't know when I'm going back for a visit they have all grown way too big to be taken back so they keep removing the pups and starting all over again :roll:
MarkD,
That is REALLY cool. I currently have some Saba, but would like to get my hands on one of your Senoritas! That is awesome that your parents are doing that for you and hopefully you will be able to go see them soon. As far as the meaning of V. cohol, I was told it was because it "pupped" so prolifically. Thanks for the lesson on the name.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I read that the name translates to Twenty Shoots icon_scratch .

Maybe the Phillipinos call pups snails :lol:
Randy4ut

Post by Randy4ut »

Mark wrote:I read that the name translates to Twenty Shoots icon_scratch .

Maybe the Phillipinos call pups snails :lol:
Hey Mark,
That is exactly what I have heard it translates to, and I assumed that the shoots referred to pups... But then again, you know what they say when one assumes!!! :DD :ahhh!: :DD
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

"Veinte Cohol" in Tagalog (Filipino) or I think in Spanish as well literally translates to "Twenty Snails", I don't know if the Cohol word means something else in another language or even a subdialect. However, Cohol word is also a metaphor referring to several meanings like shy, slow, plenty of children, lives in colonies, etc, so it could refer to that too. icon_scratch :lol: Or maybe it's just attractive to snails :lol:

I'm slightly surprised you banana boys are familiar with Musa 'Senorita' (then again you probably know all existing bananas :lol: ) I don't think the plant itself is anything ornamentally exceptional, however the fruits taste heavenly :ahhh!: icon_thumleft Small in size (2-3") but the best tasting banana in my opinion icon_thumleft