Plants to go into conserv for winter

derrick

Plants to go into conserv for winter

Post by derrick »

musa cavendish musa lasiocarpa alocasia macrorhiza enesete maureli bougavillea can i insulate any of these .my musa basjoo and echium cannas are always ok every year with nothing
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Plants to go into conserv for winter

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi derrick icon_salut , and welcome to the forum 8) icon_sunny

It depends on where you are, but Dwarf Cavendish will not survive outside even if protected, and needs a minimum of about +6C. The Musella is ok outside here unprotected, Alocasia Mac I bring inside, Ensete maurelii is marginal, some get away with it outside others not. Don't know about the bouganvillea :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

im southampton are bring them in to be safe the last enesete it just melted as any one tried to insulate any of these any ideas
Devonian Jungle

Post by Devonian Jungle »

Bougainvillea might work- just ask Dave Poole :wink:
derrick

Post by derrick »

I forgot about ricinus communis can they survive winter i have 4 or do i plant the seeds each year or is it conserv with them thanks for help
Devonian Jungle

I think it would survive, especially in sheltered Southampton.
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

Hi Derrick,

Nice to see another member down on the balmy south coast.

Musa lasiocarpa - can be border line depending on it's location in your garden, I've lost some during winter (usually rot off in the spring), and other have frosted to ground level and then regrown. If you have some pups in to keep in the greenhouse then try some out.
Enesete maureli - Doubtful you could try fleecing but I personally don't think it would make it. Maybe hard up against a warm wall of a house.

Cheers

D.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ricinus, no chance in Southampton, sow new seeds in spring but will self seed here.
Bougainvillea, no chance in Southampton, bring into conservatory or greenhouse but expect leaves to drop.
Cavendishii is a pig to winter even in a greenhouse.
Maurellii will be ok in a heated greenhouse, iffy if tried in a garage, will probably strangle in spring anyway.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Ricinus, no chance in Southampton, sow new seeds in spring but will self seed here.
Bougainvillea, no chance in Southampton, bring into conservatory or greenhouse but expect leaves to drop.
Cavendishii is a pig to winter even in a greenhouse.
Maurellii will be ok in a heated greenhouse, iffy if tried in a garage, will probably strangle in spring anyway.
Bad day Ade? :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

No not at all :lol: , didnt mean it to sound grumpy just telling it how it is .....as I often do :roll:
Devonian Jungle

I agree with Adrian, cavendishes are really frustrating to grow. I had one that once managed to get through to March without strangling, and then in April, it just strangled itself in weeks. The others I had barely went past December before dying back. A horrible plant to grow unless you create a growth chamber for it or move somewhere subtropical, neither seems likely for me :lol:
Thanks
James
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Devonian Jungle wrote:I agree with Adrian, cavendishes are really frustrating to grow. I had one that once managed to get through to March without strangling, and then in April, it just strangled itself in weeks. The others I had barely went past December before dying back. A horrible plant to grow unless you create a growth chamber for it or move somewhere subtropical, neither seems likely for me :lol:
Thanks
James
They're not that bad James :lol: I've been growing them since 1982 and the only time I have lost them was when I had no room and left them outside. They will not tolerate below +6C and that is a minimum the temps must rise from that. They are happy with 10 to 12C. So if you have a mim of 6C and max of 10C you'll be ok, if you set a grrenhouse heater to 6C and it does not get warmer for day on end the nana will deteriorate rapidly. A bright window indoors will keep them ticking over for winter icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Last year i lost a maurellii it survive the winter in conserv ok .But i put out in the garden to early and it melted down Im going to have a conserv of plants this winter
Devonian Jungle

I kept my cavendish in a windowsill, minumum temp 15 C, but it was east facing, so I guess that is probably why mine didn't keep so well. It grew fast during autumn, stopped in winter and completely died in spring, not even the corm survived. I have only just lost one over summer, my retriever has a habit of pulling plants out their pots and pulled my cavendish out. She completely munched through the plant :lol: . Even in the Eden Project they struggle a bit. I have seen at least 3 there that have completely strangled themselves.
James
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Bananas of any sort are a no no for me inside because they drip water, not good for the laminate in my conservatory, anyway its full of palms :lol: .
Above 6c is an ask in the greenhouse, the fan heater would be on a 3-4 setting to achieve that, I prefer a 2-3 setting giving me 4c protection.
I dont think its that good a nana to pamper too much, ok if you have room or the right conditions but I wouldnt go out of my way to keep it happy.
Summer bedding for me if the DIYs have any as bargains.