Hibiscus Sinensis

darran

Hibiscus Sinensis

Post by darran »

I know this is a long shot and I probably already know the answer but can Hibiscus Sinensis be overwintered outside? Would wrapping in fleece, etc. be of any use and are any of the colours more hardy than others?

If this is of use, I live to the west of London and for the 4 or 5 years I have had Lantanas overwintered outside against a sunny wall with no protection of any kind.

Any advice more than welcome.

Darran
Chad

Post by Chad »

Hibiscus rosa-sinensis should take -5C without dying back to the soil, but the roots don't like our long cold damp winters. Sharp winter drainage and heat the summer before to ripen the wood are probably more important than the winter minimum temperature.

If you can give it a spot under the eaves so that it can be fairly dry in winter, you stand a fighting chance. It fails with me outdoors in Cornwall. Not enough summer heat.

Chad.
darran

Post by darran »

Thank You! That is far more encouraging than I expected, and with your advice in mind, I will try leaving a couple of the plants in situ with some fleece at the ready for those colder nights!

I have quite a few that have been rescued from garden centre bargain areas when they have finished flowering, so it will not be a costly mistake if they fail to come through!
Chad

Post by Chad »

If you several to experiment with, you could try cutting some down to a stump and covering with a large cloche. That would give the roots a drier time.

Chad.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Im surprised Chad, I have lost several in the conservatory at about +6C :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Chad

Post by Chad »

:oops:

Well.....

I've lost them more often than I've gotten them through. USA sites quote hardy to -7C ish [zone 9a], but that would be the occasional quick freeze.

I was suggesting the experiment to find out if it worked.

On the estate where I was brought up they were cut back hard, and overwintered just frost free, but DRY. I don't know how succesfully though. I was young then and not watching properly...

Chad.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes...but I think USDA zones are totally inappropriate for UK gardening. 9a is around Florida. So basically they will survive in the Canary Islands down to -7C. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Chad

Post by Chad »

I agree. London can overwinter stuff that I can't even though I am warmer. a lot of stuff doesn't like my summer cool, and winter wet. I have trouble with lavender!

But, I have gotten H.rosa-sinensis through under cover with -4 ish. Short lived temperature drop, and dry.

Chad.
turtile

Post by turtile »

Did you try Hibiscus Coccineus?

Its hardy to Zone 6 and colder with mulch. I am currently growing the "Texas Star" variety which I can collect some seed.

Sinensis does grow in Zone 9a, Florida.
bodster

Post by bodster »

i do find that the shrubby hardy type hibiscus plants are root hardy but the summers here just aren't long enough for them to actually flower
Don

Post by Don »

bodster wrote:i do find that the shrubby hardy type hibiscus plants are root hardy but the summers here just aren't long enough for them to actually flower
True-or at least when they finally start to flower the first frost wrecks them. Shredded mine two years ago :(
grub

Post by grub »

now knowing its an ensis, where do i find sin?
Don

Post by Don »

grub wrote:now knowing its an ensis, where do i find sin?
Sik Kim (the Tai Girl) might help :wink:
turtile

Post by turtile »

bodster wrote:i do find that the shrubby hardy type hibiscus plants are root hardy but the summers here just aren't long enough for them to actually flower
I guess you don't have enough heat. Our summer is around the same length as yours but its much hotter.

They need full sun and moist soil to flower best. They are native to my area and grow on the water's edge of ponds and creeks.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

The best alternative for Hibiscus rosa sinensis is Hibiscus palustris and H. moscheutos. They are very hardy and even this year I had them into flower after a cold rainy August. H. cocineus I also have and it even had flowerbuds but no flowers. If you plant it close to a southfacingwall and in a warmer part of Britain you could be lucky to get it into flower. But H. palustris and H. moscheutos are much better.Here in Lweidschendam, close to the coast summers are very similair to some parts of Britain. And places like Kent and London are much warmer!

I have young plants and seeds of Hibiscus palustris and I also have some older H. cocineus plants.

Both species are perennials.

Regards,

Alexander