Albizia julibrissin

col

Albizia julibrissin

Post by col »

Hi all,

Some years ago, I grew the Silk Tree, Albizia julibrissin, from seed collected on holiday. During its first winter outdoors it dropped its leaves and went into dead twig mode - only to spring back into life when the weather got warmer. I lost it when some wally ran over it with a dumper truck while I was having some building work done, but I would like to try again as someone has gifted me a seed pod.

Does anyone have any experience of growing Albizia julibrissin and, if so, how did you get on?
Nigel Fear

Re: Albizia julibrissin

Post by Nigel Fear »

Col, I own a couple of Albizia Julibrissin's, and it's quite normal for them to defoliate every year, and they alway's seem to be among the last to regrow their beautiful leaves the following year.
I've never grown them from seed though, but I can tell you that Paraserianthes [syn. Albizia] Lothantha, which is a very close relative, [and evergreen] to boot, germinates readily outdoors if sown early summer though the seeds have a very short shelf-life, and I would expect your's to be the same, so I hope you have success with it.
col

Post by col »

Thanks for the advice, Nigel :) Albizia j seeds must rank amongst the easiest I have ever tried - soak, then surface sow with a light dusting of compost on top, with a bit of bottom heat from a radiator.

Must admit that Paraserianthes l is a new one on me - I'll look out for it :)
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Col
Paraserianthes lophantha is less hardy than Albizia julibrissin. I've planted one outside this year and will let you know whether it's still with us in the spring...
I know people in London who are managing it outside year round and, as Nigel says, are also finding it self seeds. But not sure how much of that is urban heat island effect.
I think Paul Spracklin lost one to winter cold in his Essex garden. However, rumour has it there are also 2 forms doing the rounds - one from a more montane environment which is apparently better able to cope with British winters. I have no idea which form I've got...
Pete
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Hi Col. I grow Albizzia Julibrissim. Mine is fairly mature but is now suffering dieback on the stems. I believe it is a combination of crappe summers (no heat) and a large Eucalyptus shading the Tree for part of the day. Heres the best pic I have of it although it was not the target..
IMG_0185_t.jpg
It will have a prune in the spring time or may even come out altogether.
Silk Tree Nurseries not very far from me has five varieties

http://www.silktree.co.uk/treesconifers.html

Better to try one of the hybrids as they are generally hardier icon_thumleft
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Architectural plants stock it I believe Col, though I can't vouch for it being as hardy as A. Julibrissin as yet, though it has potential in a favourable spot. 8)

Edit, just checked they don't stock it now it seems. :?
turtile

Post by turtile »

It must be from the lack of heat. Here they establish populations in the wild and go though very low temperatures in the winter. They loose their leaves here every year and may drop them during drought.
pete G

Post by pete G »

I've grown quite a few from seeds over the years.
I used to have one that grew very well, dark green leaves, and flowered late summer even after hard pruning.
However I had to dig it out due to the building of a conservatory.

I have a reasonable sized one now, but the growth is slower, and the leaves are pale green, its not flowered yet either.
Its about ten yrs old.
I also think the poor summers are not helping, they love heat.

I've got a couple of lophanthas, but I'm pretty sure that would not be hardy here.
I will find out next winter as in their first year they reached 7ft plus, so in the spring, out they go.
One has a couple of flowers forming.

Lophantha is a nice looking plant and fast enough to grow as a summer ornamental.

I, also think you need very fresh seed for lophantha.

Another one I have been trying recently is Albizzia Kalkora, its early days yet but it was hardy last winter, with some die back of unripe wood.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Apologies for the necro - but I am wondering how people's Albizia have fared...?

I would like to try Rosea, but also like Albizia Lophantha, but don't know how successful that would be planted out in Essex..... :roll:
Last edited by Simba on Mon May 17, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bev

Post by bev »

my 'rouge d'ete' is budding up now, they are one of the last trees to come into leaf here. i think lophantha is best treated as an anual. growing some julibrissin from seed also!

cheers

lee
Simba

Post by Simba »

Albizia Lophantha is not one thats likely to make it through the winter then...?

Glad I came home at posted the question now, rather than taking a punt on an impulse buy.. :roll:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i thought we had lost 2 julibrizin and 1 summer chocolate but they are all budding now icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Simba, I pm'd you on another channel about the Paraserianthes form, but for everyone else here thinking of trying it I have to say that my ones have all bit the dust! :(

Albizia Julibrissin 'Rosea' on the other hand is now begining to break dormancy, much as Red Squirrels are. icon_sunny
Simba

Post by Simba »

Yes, I got your message Nige.

Infact I was just looking on Google maps to see how easy it would be to visit Architectural Plants when I am in Chichester, and it's going to be an easy detour. So I will almost certainly be able to collect your order for you.

I visited Langthorns today and they had some lovely Albizia Lopantha, and I was sorely tempted to buy one as there were no Rosea out for sale.

But it seems that it's a Rosea or bust as far as hardiness goes.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

the summer chocolate isnt bad simba,ours is only a small plant in a small pot,whole lot must have frozen solid,coming back now after a last anxious month
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure