Variegated Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Troppoz

Variegated Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by Troppoz »

Came across this unusual plant which is growing in the Canary Islands on La Palma.

Apparently it came up as a feral seedling but the owners realised that it was special and let it grow - it is now protected. It only ever produces seedlings that completely lack chlorophyll and so never survive...

Sean
Attachments
canariensisV.jpg
canariensisV02.jpg
kentgardener

Re: Variegated Phoenix canariensis_CIDP

Post by kentgardener »

Wow! A nicely variegated hardy palm is my Holy Grail. I would settle for a non hardy one and give it the protection it needed in the winter. You just don't see variegted palms for sale (or even in collections very often).

That is really nice.

Many thanks for showing it.

John
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Have to say I like that :D thanks for posting Sean. Someone on here had or has a variegated Phoenix canariensis_CIDP if i remember (getting old so mabe wrong) was it Helen?? what happened to Helen by the way she has not posted for ages or have i just missed her??

Gary
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

I think Mark posted a picture that he had taken of a variegated Waggi he saw on one of his shopping trips. I don't remember seeing a variegated Phoenix canariensis_CIDP before.

John
Mark

Post by Mark »

I have seen a waggi at PJpalms and a Trachycarpus at the palm centre. Gary , Helen does/did have a vari Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. She was in the chatroom the other night til late. She has a lot going on with work and also Builders are in ....I do miss her though :( :lol:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

That is one of the most bizarre sights ive ever seen! I never though it possible to get a variegated Phoenix canariensis_CIDP! :o
col

Post by col »

I went there once (not to be confused with Las Palmas) - wish I'd have known about it as I'd have loved to have seen that. It looks great, but weird!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Funky looking palm! Though if one of mine started producing leaves like that I would probably rip it out thinking it had something wrong with it! :lol: I did once have a Trachycarpus that started producing white variagated leaves, but it was planted in my aviary & ended up being eaten by my cockatiels... :roll:
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

I think it is one of those "love it or hate it" plants.

I hate it :oops: . I like variegated plants but that one is just a bit too ugly for my personal taste, but I can see how people would love it. Very unusual.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

I'm a lover I thinks its fab :D but like nathan said if mine had leaves like that I'd think I'd killed it like soooooooo many others plants :roll:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

I thought you people would appreciate this one...

Im somewhere between loving and hating it. Its definately unusual and makes a statement but the burnt tips of the blonde bits makes it look scruffy. And I think the balance of green to white is wrong...if it had more green than white I might feel differently about it.

I havent seen too many variegated palms but here is a variegated Wodyetia bifurcata X Veitchia arecina called Foxy Lady that was developed in Australia. I dont understand if it produces viable seed with the variegations or if it is TCd if they are able to bring out a lot of them. I have never seen one before but came across it on the PACSOA website I mentioned in another post, along with the variegated Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.

Here is a link to the home page if anyone is interested.

http://www.pacsoa.org.au
Attachments
FoxyLady02.jpg
FoxyLady.jpg
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Sean you really must refrain from posting pics like that :D ... what a funky palm :D

Gary
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

And I think the balance of green to white is wrong...if it had more green than white I might feel differently about it.
I think that's what it is for me Sean, it's a bit too "blocky" for me and looks a bit contrived.

I like the second pic though! icon_thumleft
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

Personally I think that varigated Phoenix canariensis_CIDP looks awful. Interesting as a curiosity plant but thats about it.

For some reason, which given my extreme dislike of the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP, I actually like the Wodyetia. Hmmm icon_scratch

Steve
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

I would still settle for ANY variegated palm.

I have always liked the oddities (probably why I like this forum :lol: )

John