Yucca rostrata

gdudey

Re: Yucca rostrata

Post by gdudey »

Yes it does. I'm not sure about the satellite dish, he looks surprised about something :lol:
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

Just reigniting this, as have some questions about my Yucca rostrate. It is planted out on raised, free draining soil (not perfect, but the Opuntias thrive so it must be ok) and is full sun and windy. I planted it out last summer (it was fully green leaved) but it got hit hard in December with very cold wind/rain. I erected a cover so kept the Beast from the East out but as you can see, I think that cold/wet took its toll.

Do you envisage that, kept sheltered this winter, this will eventually grow out and more new growth will set in over the coming years? (and sorry for the sideways pics - I always forget to take landscape on my phone).
Attachments
IMG_3802.JPG
IMG_3803.JPG
tatter

Yucca rostrata

Post by tatter »

Ouraka Can you please advise what the Opuntia in the picture is and how do you stop slugs and snails munching on them
icon_cheers
Last edited by tatter on Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Chez2

Yucca rostrata

Post by Chez2 »

I can't remember if you have clay soil or not. Is the gravel above the original soil level so you haven't created a sump? Our soil drains reasonable well and is a good mix of organic matter with some sandy rocky bits in the top and sub soil.

We have had ours in three years, perhaps four. Its doing really well planted in the ground without extra drainage added. We don't cover it in winter. It stood in deep snow winter 2017. The first two winters it had a patio table stood over it but then it grew too tall. The last two winters we haven't covered it and the foliage is better. The foliage got damaged where it touched the plastic the first two winters. It very windy and exposed where we are but there are some plants near it.
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

tatter wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:02 pm Can you please advise what the Opuntia in the picture is and how do you stop slugs and snails munching on them
I have absolutely no idea!! it is an unidentified one that I planted out years ago, and has absolutely thrived! Hundreds of yellow flowers each year, and makes so many new pads I have to chop a lot off to stop it taking over. Whilst I struggle with slugs/snails elsewhere, this area isn't touched by them (save the odd one or two). I suspect a combination of dryness, raised up and the red stones that make it hard to slither over.
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

Chez2 wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:46 pm I can't remember if you have clay soil or not. Is the gravel above the original soil level so you haven't created a sump? Our soil drains reasonable well and is a good mix of organic matter with some sandy rocky bits in the top and sub soil.
Our soil isn't perfect, quite clayey, but has had a fair amount of rock and sand added. I take assurances from how well the Opuntia and other arids do in it, and these are never protected from any amount of wet and/or cold.

I am hoping it just really struggled last winter (as it was its first year planted out) and that it will slowly recover if I shelter it from the worst of the wet this year. Have people found that they will slowly 'green up' as they become established?
tatter

Yucca rostrata

Post by tatter »

ourarka1 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:26 pm I have absolutely no idea!! it is an unidentified one that I planted out years ago, and has absolutely thrived! Hundreds of yellow flowers each year, and makes so many new pads I have to chop a lot off to stop it taking over. Whilst I struggle with slugs/snails elsewhere, this area isn't touched by them (save the odd one or two). I suspect a combination of dryness, raised up and the red stones that make it hard to slither over.
Ouraka1 now for the cheeky bit if you have excess of pads next time you "prune" I wouldn't mind a couple of pads .I will gladly pay all postage costs if this is possible? icon_thumleft
Thanks
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

tatter wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:32 pm Ouraka1 now for the cheeky bit if you have excess of pads next time you "prune" I wouldn't mind a couple of pads .I will gladly pay all postage costs if this is possible?
I have pm'd you.
Chez2

Yucca rostrata

Post by Chez2 »

ourarka1 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:28 pm Our soil isn't perfect, quite clayey, but has had a fair amount of rock and sand added. I take assurances from how well the Opuntia and other arids do in it, and these are never protected from any amount of wet and/or cold.

I am hoping it just really struggled last winter (as it was its first year planted out) and that it will slowly recover if I shelter it from the worst of the wet this year. Have people found that they will slowly 'green up' as they become established?
How is it doing now? Ours have never been knocked back after planting.
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

Those pictures were only a fortnight ago so no change .... certainly no improvement. Really not sure what to do - my gut instinct says it’s on a downward trend, but don’t know if disturbing it will actually be detrimental. Maybe if it can get through this winter, it might kick on?
Chez2

Yucca rostrata

Post by Chez2 »

Get a replacement. Nigel at Hardy palms has some offers on. I bought a bargain special offer yucca for £30 and ended up spending almost £800. One palm, a few daisylirions and yuccas.
simpleton2

Yucca rostrata

Post by simpleton2 »

I bought two rostratas at the same time and planted them in different parts of the garden. One has thrived and looks great. The other has struggled and looked like it was on the way out so I dug it up earlier this year and have put it in a pot until it (hopefully) recovers. They were both planted in full sun and I have very well drained soil. The one that failed was in a more exposed position so perhaps that had something to do with it.
I think sometimes the plant just isn't happy in a specific position, even if it seems to be right on paper.
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

Hmmm .... I really can’t afford to replace one that big at the moment. It does seem like they’re quite inconsistent .... some do well, some don’t, for no rhyme or reason.

I think I will dig it up .... a cold, wet autumn & winter is going to do it no good. I’ll overwinter it and give it next summer in my baking hot conservatory and hope I can resurrect it.

Really want something tall in its space that fits the arid theme .... maybe a cordyline .... far more affordable for that height.
ourarka1

Yucca rostrata

Post by ourarka1 »

Ok, I’ve dug it up - wouldn’t wish another English winter on a clearly poorly plant!

Ive attaches some pictures of what was left behind, plus the plant itself, in the hopevthat someone can spot the issues. The roots seem to be a few small white ones, but mainly thick, brittle and red in colour.
Attachments
60B462A2-8BEE-44DA-9871-898F170963AD.jpeg
F5946760-C4B7-4749-BEA2-1CACBF4F02A1.jpeg
5B35921A-9F37-4ADB-B7F5-678169E91253.jpeg
23B3E6B0-6E2E-41D2-B27E-88946A7DD54F.jpeg
Chez2

Yucca rostrata

Post by Chez2 »

oh heck! It would be a miracle for that to come back from the brink! Roots look dead and rotted away as far as I can see.