Philodendron selloum

DavidF

Philodendron selloum

Post by DavidF »

Just thought I'd share a pic of my P. selloum's latest leaf. It's growing one every 3 weeks or so and they are BIG!.
Did anybody else get one of these from Steve and if so how are they doing? I think it's going to be a belter.
Phillo.JPG
It's not a brilliant pic, here's one of the whole plant:
Phillo 1.JPG
SteveW

Re: Philodendron selloum

Post by SteveW »

Thats a seriously nice looking plant Fletch :D
I got one from amulree last year,looks nowhere near as good as that though :mrgreen: :lol:
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mine survived the winter outside on my verandah. Lost a couple of leaves and doesn't look quite as pampered as this!! Not sure I'll leave it out again but the Monstera deliciosa took it in its stride.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

How on earth are you getting it to grow that quick ?

Mine has spent most of the last year in the greenhouse, maybe that is the issue.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

That looks great, Fletch!
I got mine from Amulree, like SteveW. It's doing okay. I shifted it into the greenhouse for winter and it's carried on growing. No leaves as big as yours though. I think it's a bit too potbound, but am resisting repotting it for another month if I can. It's got loads of aerial roots reaching out all over the place :shock:
Pete
darran

Post by darran »

I didn't notice the plant......was still too distracted by the curtains :wink:

seriously.....that looks a lovely specimen, and glad its something that is doing really well for you icon_cheers
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

How on earth are you getting it to grow that quick ?
I've no idea Lucien, I'm a bit shocked myself. It is in a South facing bay window so it gets loads of light, but I haven't fed it or anything, just plenty of water. I didn't even think it would grow at all in Winter.

If it carries on like this it really is going to be a monster!
I didn't notice the plant......was still too distracted by the curtains
:evil:

The room is getting decorated soon (been saying that for 2 years) at which point, they will be replaced. I'm sure they will be sadly missed by all.... :lol:
Mark

Post by Mark »

Fletch,With each new leaf being larger than the previous one and also the rate of growth its putting on..............Where are you going to put it next winter :lol:

You will not need curtains as it will block out all light and no one will be able to see in anyway :lol:
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Fletch,With each new leaf being larger than the previous one and also the rate of growth its putting on..............Where are you going to put it next winter
No idea Mark!!

It has 2 growing points and I've just noticed a new leaf emerging from the second growing point this morning. It seems to send them out alternately, which essentially means it never stops growing. :ahhh!:
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

A word of caution Fletch
If it outgrows the house then make sure you keep it above -7c next winter. The ones I had left at the nursery were evergreen on Monday 7th Jan (lowest recorded temp -7c) but dropped all their leaves when I went in on Wednesday 9th (-9c recorded tuesday night) It's amazing how much difference the extra 2c cold made :ahhh!: .

Steve
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

A word of caution Fletch
If it outgrows the house then make sure you keep it above -7c next winter. The ones I had left at the nursery were evergreen on Monday 7th Jan (lowest recorded temp -7c) but dropped all their leaves when I went in on Wednesday 9th (-9c recorded tuesday night) It's amazing how much difference the extra 2c cold made
Hi Steve, thanks for that. I don't intend leaving it out for winter ever! I had one defoliate at -3 when I lived in Manchester and it never got warm enough for it to really grow back. Last year I tried again with a larger one (but not as large as this one) and it disappeared to mush, even with fleece.

I may pop this one outdoors for a summer holiday but there's no way I'm risking it again....

I'll just have to get a bigger house :lol:
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

DavidF wrote:

I may pop this one outdoors for a summer holiday but there's no way I'm risking it again....

I'll just have to get a bigger house :lol:
That was going to be my advice :lol:
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Ours was left outside against the house wall last winter and totally defoliated :? , It regrew well last summer despite the lack of really hot weather, we brought it in for this winter and it to now has 2 growing points :D
garden feb 09 006.jpg
Gary
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

Hows your Philodendron selloum doing now David, still putting on that great growth ?
I have just moved mine into the greenhouse having over wintered indoors. It seems to have put a bit of a lean on, I forgot to rotate it. I'm hoping the spell in the greenhouse will sort that out.
SA400121.JPG
I've decided on a place to put it in the garden, the Gunnera manicata is gonna go. I've had fun with the Gunnera for quite a few years now, but it's getting just too big. The leaves aren't the nicest to brush up against.
As advised in previous thread I not performing a permanent plant, I'm just going to plunge the pot in the raised bed. I'm really look forward to seeing this plant grow this season. I was also wondering if this plant was a candidate for a bit of palm booster treatment ?

Cheers.
D.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Heres mine, first pic from 2007 and grown in full sun, pics 2+3 from last year and grown in shade between the Dicksonia antarctica and Basjoos.
It didnt mind either position but I think it prefered the shade where it stayed more compact and a bit greener, in sun they stretch out more.

At the moment mines in the greenhouse defoliated, it had to be split at the end of last year and its sulked a bit, should be OK though.
Attachments
philodendron selloum (Medium).JPG
IMG_1686 (Medium).JPG
IMG_1688 (Medium).JPG