yuccas

Mark

Re: yuccas

Post by Mark »

Thought I would jump in on this thread for some info on Yuccas. Stuart gave me a branch of Recurvifolia to plant out. any ideas of how deep it will need to be planted?
DSCF4293.JPG
Should I remove the lower yellow branch , or will it still grow on from here?
becky

Post by becky »

sorry iv got no info mark but thats a lovelly yucca i still cant believe they grow with no roots :) that will look very nice would be good if you could save the bottom branch too wouldnt it? :)
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Mark, i would strip the dead and yellowing leaves of the whole plant so you have a nice clean plant to work with. The depth of trunk you plant depends a bit on how big the plant is to allow it to be stable. I wouldn't plant it deeper then the fork int he trunk, may up to a few inches bellow the fork.
Are you going to plant it or keep it potted for a bit. the drier the better for first month or so, then as the weather warms up you can water it more.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Chris, If I take all the yellow ones off the bottom trunk it will be bald :lol: . I have had it in the cold greenhouse for around 2 months I think. I was waiting for warmer weather to arrive before planting it out.

I also intent to use a stake to stop it rocking around too much.

Should I throw in a load of Horse poo to help it along or just leave it as is?

Will it need drainage ? I am on heavy clay.

Becky, I hope to leave the lower branch on as it gives it a tad more interest.
I think it may have flowered at some point as there is a an old stalk that has been chopped off.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mark wrote:Chris, If I take all the yellow ones off the bottom trunk it will be bald :lol: . I have had it in the cold greenhouse for around 2 months I think. I was waiting for warmer weather to arrive before planting it out.

I also intent to use a stake to stop it rocking around too much.

Should I throw in a load of Horse poo to help it along or just leave it as is?

Will it need drainage ? I am on heavy clay.

Becky, I hope to leave the lower branch on as it gives it a tad more interest.
I think it may have flowered at some point as there is a an old stalk that has been chopped off.
Mark, I have taken several Y.recurvifolia stems off as cuttings over the years. Plant it deep enough to allow a decent root-ball to form. Mine did not take very quickly as they seem to build up a rhizome before growing much on the top. :roll: I wouldn't use horse poo, but would improve the drainage. Having said that one clump is doing fine on modeling clay. They tend to grow like cordylines, branching after flowering. Mine flowers twice a year :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mark »

Thanks Dave. I will add plenty of small Gravel to the hole and leave off the Manure until its well rooted.
becky

Post by becky »

yes i think i it would look more interesting with the extra branch good luck mark :)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

being of the yucca family,i wouldnt have thought a stiff dose of palm booster would do it any harm.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure