Ness Gardens exotics

stephenprudence

Ness Gardens exotics

Post by stephenprudence »

Hi since I went here today for my birthday, I thought I'd post a few photos. I always come to Ness expecting a display of hardy plants and a lack of exotic or tropical plants but the more you know, the more you spot, and the more you spot the more surprised you are.

Some very tender stuff here as you will find out.

It reached 16C today so the camellias and Rhododendrons are in full bloom!

Anyway enjoy them.

Troppoz

Re: Ness Gardens exotics

Post by Troppoz »

Stephen interesting place doesnt look as though they have had the tough winter that other places have - where is this garden?

Im surprised to see an Norfolk Island pine looking unscathed - are they at all commonly grown over there?

Sean
stephenprudence

Hi Sean :D Yes the garden looks very healthy, the only real things they move are the Musa basjoos to keep the foliage for the next year. The winter wasn't as hard as other places luckily, and it reflects in the gardens and it's a relief because it's such a nice gardens. The garden is 3 miles from my doorstep so 30 minutes walk away :)

I was too surprised at seeing that Norfolk Island Pine untouched. As far as I know there's only a handful grown in the UK, one in Wirral, one in Llandudno (North Wales) and one in Tresco (Scilly Isles). Also there where a few Wollemi pines around - I know they're quite popular with some members in here.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Happy belated Birthday Stephen! icon_thumleft drunken_smilie1

Glad you had a good day, but I thought you were not going to the gardens? icon_scratch
stephenprudence wrote:Just a heads up, I've had to cancel my visit to Ness Gardens on my birthday because before, on and after the date I'm supposed to go it's going to be cold with sub zero minimums and a freezing cold northeasterly/easterly wind, there won't be anything flowering so there's little point in going. Bit disappointed to be honest I was looking forward to that.

:wink: :lol:

I think maybe you should think of a change of career... :wink:

By the way there are some Norfolk Island Pines round here too... I have one in my garden, (which was planted out but I dug up & put in a pot as it was getting too big), there is a good sized one in someones front garden near Gunwharf Quays & there is one at Ventnor Botanic Gardens on the Isle of Wight. There are also a couple planted out at Abbotsbury in Dorset...
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Sean, It's a treasure of a place especiaqlly for those who live in the area, facinating history http://www.liv.ac.uk/nessgardens/about/history.htm
stephenprudence

Nathan wrote:Happy belated Birthday Stephen! icon_thumleft drunken_smilie1

Glad you had a good day, but I thought you were not going to the gardens? icon_scratch
stephenprudence wrote:Just a heads up, I've had to cancel my visit to Ness Gardens on my birthday because before, on and after the date I'm supposed to go it's going to be cold with sub zero minimums and a freezing cold northeasterly/easterly wind, there won't be anything flowering so there's little point in going. Bit disappointed to be honest I was looking forward to that.

:wink: :lol:

I think maybe you should think of a change of career... :wink:

By the way there are some Norfolk Island Pines round here too... I have one in my garden, (which was planted out but I dug up & put in a pot as it was getting too big), there is a good sized one in someones front garden near Gunwharf Quays & there is one at Ventnor Botanic Gardens on the Isle of Wight. There are also a couple planted out at Abbotsbury in Dorset...
Get out of Tesco? been there, done that, and returned ;)

No seriously when I made that post it was looking almost certain that it would be cold, and there would be no point, but it all changed around very quickly, and I decided after seeing that people gardens had Camellias and Rhodos in bloom, I would make the visit, and I'm glad I took the chance actually!

Perhaps Norfolk Island Pines aren't as tender as they're made out to be? I now the one you quote are on the coast but still - this is the UK ;)

Quite a few Wollemi pines were planted too - Although they are a very hardy species, they were very expensive probably due to being a relatively new introduction?
Robin Cassell

Post by Robin Cassell »

That place looks great Steve..I,ve not heard of it but would love to pay a visit there maybe when things warm up a little..must only be about half hour from me? icon_sunny
stephenprudence

Definitely worth a visit for a small fee (which keeps the place in tip top condition)

It's probably about 45 mins I'd say but worth, you should try it around May-June.
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Is that an oleander in the last picture?
stephenprudence

Yes it is.. its been a while for this thread. :mrgreen:
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

Yes i know lol, I was researching Norfolk Island pines and looked into the Ness gardens and Llandudno one that you've posted pictures of and found these pictures. One of my oleanders looks bad and wilting allready this year! So this was of interest, hopefully it will pull through. I've found some Norfolk Island pines at gordale today for £25.99, a bit pricey, do you know of any other suppliers locally?
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Try potted christmas tree sellers.
cheshirepalms

Post by cheshirepalms »

I've tried loads of places and they seem elusive or expensive! I'll keep looking lol!
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

We never got to Ness last month Stephen, went to Sefton Park which was a little disappointing but no doubt we will be up to the Wirral again some time next year.
jamiek

Post by jamiek »

Some great pics of Ness!

I found some more on there website here http://www.nessgardens.org.uk/about-us/gallery/.

As its December best waiting for an icey cold frosty morning :) icon_bigsmurf