Washingtonia Cross Palm

jase

Washingtonia Cross Palm

Post by jase »

I got this in jan this year its a robusta and Washingtonia filifera cross.
The thing is its been in the g/h for 2 or 3 weeks & has done nothing, I keep hearing about soil temps does it need a bit of sun & heat to get it going.
Its rootbound in the pot & still has some green to it apart from the scorched tips.
I kept it against the house with other things & covered it for the the bad weather we had.
Anyone else have one of these & do you think its likely to get going sooooon......or is it fit for the brown wheely bin :(

jase
Attachments
005.JPG
006.JPG
bobbyd44

Re: Washingtonia Cross Palm

Post by bobbyd44 »

not got one of those jase but i got a robusta that had been out in the frosts at home base half price,root bound and scorched, in decem ber and nothing much happened but i got a new leaf last week and another on the way( been on window sill )so think it prob just time!!
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Jase while its green there is hope :D if it were mine I would keep it in a greenhouse, failing that give it time, its still early in the year, they are fast growing when and if we get a decent summer. I would not repot it as this will shock it further, i think its a case of wait and hope :!: but i would not bin it just yet :D

Gary
jase

Post by jase »

Thanks guys some hope is better than NO HOPE icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Jase, Soil temps are important for good growth to maximum potential, but I have been moitoring the soil temperature at a depth of 30cm (1ft) near the trunk of my Washie robusta. It went down to +3.5C in late January :shock: :shock: :shock: , and has climbed to 8.5C now..... But the palm has started to grow over the last two weeks :shock:...... so an established palm can put on some growth even in cold soil but maybe only two or three leaves a year at the current rate. My palm grew 20 leaves last year. icon_thumright, and Toto in Croasia, recorded 46 leaves in a season in a Mediterranean climate icon_thumright

I suspect it was a warm grown palm before transported to the DIY shed, and has taken a bit of a shock. It will survive, but you just need to let it sort itself out. Don't try to force it with fertiliser, just let it settle. Mine sulked for 3 years after a bad move where all the soil fell off the rootball during transplanting. It will probably come good putting on some growth in May :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jezza »

I was thinking of buying a 6ft washy cross palm, but i'm waiting for the mrs to agree first :roll: