Crews Hill, North London

kentgardener

Re: Crews Hill, North London

Post by kentgardener »

MarkD - from your photo of 'the staff' it looks like both of the best tree ferns were sold (the bendy one and the one carry a pup on the side).

Mark - there were definitely couple of people with their eyes on your banana mate. :wink:

John
bev

Post by bev »

Shame about your fern gaz n mark, but I will definitely be going back for one, there were so many different shapes I'm sure I'll find another one I like.

Mark: don't worry about the banana, I forgot as well. Will catch up at Amulree icon_salut

Lee
jezza

Post by jezza »

I was gonna come to this but had to get some sleep ready for my first night on the job :oops: 8)
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Looks like a great day out guys! It just goes to show the North/South divide yesterday, you all look freezing!

Thanks for the pose Darran, I love daffodils :wink:

:lol:
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

bev wrote:....there were so many different shapes I'm sure I'll find another one I like.
I think all of their Dicksonia antarctica's were great, similar heights of the ones within the same price range and all in fine nick :) You can't go wrong with any of them me thinks 8)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hello, does anybody know how far Crews Hill (paramount etc) is from the local railway station (Crews Hill). Thanks, neil. :D
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Neil

we actually turned the van round in the station car park - it didn't seem far, but I was being chauffeur driving!

I seem to remember nurseries all the way up to the station - basically the whole of Cattlegate Road and Theobalds Park Road was wall to wall nurseries / tropical fish shops / reptile shops / garden furniture shops.

The ones we went to were

3 - Paramount plants (rather expensive - and not a nice smell!......)
1 - garden club (£5 annual membership)
2 - Ausferns
HTUK_CrewsStationMap.jpg
HTUK_CrewsStationMap.jpg (81.61 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
I would 'guess' the walk from station to garden club would be 20 mins give or take.

Hope that helps.

John
Mark

Post by Mark »

A few pics of my stash.
Sumatrana Zebrina and Washie Robusta
DSCF4460.JPG
DSCF4461.JPG
After a tidy and removal of a pup for Lee.
DSCF4466.JPG
And the Dahlias
DSCF4474.JPG
DSCF4473.JPG
DSCF4472.JPG
DSCF4471.JPG
DSCF4470.JPG
And this next one is going to be the real Slut of the Border this year :lol:
DSCF4469.JPG
Found another pup forming while removing lees one.
DSCF4463.JPG
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Nice haul Mark!

Your slut should look like this all being well..........it was a belter for me last year.
Bora Bora.JPG
Mark

Post by Mark »

Cheers Fletch...its so in your face isn't it :lol: God knows where they are all going to go icon_scratch And I still want to get a couple of species ones too :D
Owen

Post by Owen »

Hey guys,

I went to Crews Hill today - and boy did it get busy by lunchtime- very glad I was there early!

Just bought some herbs veggies and some perennials. And some great pots from the Gardening club.

The most exotic plant i bought today was a Cirsium rivulare atropurpureum! (Its a thistle!)

I would recommend you guys come back later on in the summer, when the Gardening Club gets it summer tropical stuff in.

Ive walked it from the train station to the Gardening Club it takes about 15 mins (thats as long as you dont get distracted by any other nurseries on the way!
Neil

Post by Neil »

Thanks John and Owen for your help re: distance to Crew Hill from nearest train station. I will definitely have a look in the next 2 weeks, although i'll probably have to give the 8 foot Dicksonia antarctica's a miss :lol: , neil :D
bev

Post by bev »

Cheers for the pup Mark. It should be 8ft tall with it's own pups by the time I see you at Amulree!
Thanks, Lee
Mark

Post by Mark »

I may just keep it then :lol: :lol: :lol:

can't remember what seeds I offered you either icon_scratch
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Owen wrote:I would recommend you guys come back later on in the summer, when the Gardening Club gets it summer tropical stuff in.
It's so near us we'll be regular visitors :)

Makes me wonder why we never checked this area out before icon_scratch :lol: