Vale Exotics

Stuart Bebb

Vale Exotics

Post by Stuart Bebb »

My Mum is down from the frozen north ( BURY) so had a ride out up into the Cotswolds and would you credit it we ended up at Vale exotics :ahhh! well after a very nice lunch in Chipping Campden: my Mum is such a bad influence on me :roll: :lol: anyway I came away with a Cyathea Inciso-serrata don't know much about it looks similar to a cooperi I'll see how it goes
Cheers Stuart
Mark

Re: Vale Exotics

Post by Mark »

Not heard of that one Stuart. I may look in at vales after Akamba and CGF. Did they have much to offer?

Last year there was nothing to write home about :(
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

Hi Mark they looked very well stocked some very nice Cyathea Australis starting at £125 and they did look good have to say and lots of palms Brahea armata looked stunning
cheers Stuart
Mark

Post by Mark »

Cheers Stuart...I will pop in then and have a looksie icon_thumright
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Interested in the Cyathea, if you don't mind me asking how much was it and how big (where is the pic ?) :)

I think it might end up Akamba/CGF and finish at Vale again this year.

Lucien
jase

Post by jase »

Mark whilst your there could you look for my Colocasia Hilo Beauty, I ordered it what seems like months ago :lol: :lol: :lol:
jase
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Stuart Bebb wrote:Hi Mark they looked very well stocked some very nice Cyathea Australis starting at £125 and they did look good have to say and lots of palms Brahea armata looked stunning
cheers Stuart
Remember most Cyathea sold as australis are actually the less hardy cooperi. Australis has dark brown hair, Cooperi has light baige tipped hair :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by DavidF »

Frozen North! :ahhh!:

It's been glorious up here for days. And I reckon we got a better winter than the South Coast riviera!
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

The Cyathea australis at Vale were the real deal 8) I can't remember exactly how much they were exactly but took note that they weren't bad prices at all. They were all trunked, 2' upwards but the best bit about them is that they all seemed to be very well rooted already, which is a big plus as this tree fern is infuriating to re-root.

They were all in big pots, so a heck of a hole to dig. If a Cyathea australis is well rooted then bury the entire rootball it comes with and don't fiddle with it like you can get away with a Dicksonia antarctica.

Jase, they had Hilo Beauties there but none of them had leaves on them, just 'pots of mud' :roll: So they're probably just waiting for them to sprout.....if they will.
jase

Post by jase »

MarkD wrote:Jase, they had Hilo Beauties there but none of them had leaves on them, just 'pots of mud' :roll: So they're probably just waiting for them to sprout.....if they will.
Thanks Mark to be fair he said I could have them now (when I ordered them) or wait till they start growing, so I thought it would be better for him to get them growing first icon_thumright
jase
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

Mornin All
Just thought you might like to see my new tree fern I picked up at the weekend
Attachments
cyathea-inc-1.jpg
Cyathea-inc-2.jpg
cyathea-inc-3.jpg
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

It looks very nice Stuart, whatever it is!!! I think I've lost one of my Cyathea's, but another identical one just a few metres away has come through fine and has some new croziers in the crown ready to unfurl :roll: The only different I notice on yours is that the stems/petioles (I'm not a tree fern expert so not really sure what they're called :lol: ) on the fronds are greener compared to my Cooperii, on which they're quite brown :)
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

Hi Pete,
It does have a look of Cyathea cooperi about it at first glance but as you say much greener at the base anyway worth a try I don't think it will be very hardy at all as its from Malay/Sarawak its a Cyathea incisoserrata
as for the C. australis at Vale exotics as Mark says very big and you couldn't mistake them for anything else.
cheers Stuart