Been busy today...

collins99

Been busy today...

Post by collins99 »

Last day of my holidays today and i thought i had better do something in the garden , so i have built a couple of boarders and started on getting rid of my grass ( because it is rubbish ) with starting work on a new deck . There is going to be a small raised bed in front of the new step so you have to go around it to get to the steps to take you up to the back of the garden . With a long weekend coming up i hope to get some more done , just need more plants now to fill all these beds that seem to be springing up everywhere :wink:

nick...
Attachments
075.JPG
076.JPG
077.JPG
MarkD

Re: Been busy today...

Post by MarkD »

Very nice Nick! Nice choice of plants and contemporary design, and I like the decking icon_thumleft
collins99

Post by collins99 »

Cheers Mark , still loads to do in the garden . I intend to slowly get rid of all the grass and replace it with decking split on to different levels , with loads of places left for planting to give it a jungly feel , so you have to push your way through all the foliage giving it a real enclosed feel . There will still be a couple of clearances so i have somewhere to sit and enjoy the garden , and somewhere to have a few beers :lol:

nick..
SteveP

Post by SteveP »

The layered decking is a great idea Nick. Should look fanatastic when its finished. Its a good job you are going for an 'enclosed' feel because that Butia will take up much of the lower deck in a few years time.

BTW, I take it that the two Dicksonia antarctica's in the last photo are not planted yet because they look a little close to the plants/retainers behind?

Great work.

Cheers
Steve
collins99

Post by collins99 »

The 2 Dicksonia antarctica are not planted yet i don't think they are going to stay there permantly , i have just placed them there for now to make it look less bare :lol: You cant see from the pictures but there is quite a bit of lawn to be removed so that butia can get as big as it likes :lol: the bigger the better . :lol: :lol:

nick...
jezza

Post by jezza »

Very nice icon_thumright
Mark

Post by Mark »

Nick , for a Butcher,you ain't too bad at woodwork 8) Looks great. I love those borders.

And by coincidence there is a meet coming up soon at a place called AKAMBA just the place to go to add to your collection :lol:
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I love it Nick. All those angles and levels make for a really interesting design, and as Mark says it's very well executed. My lack of DIY ability is a joke...you are clearly very handy with a saw (as well as a cleaver...)
Pete
ChrisG

Post by ChrisG »

Nick, great work. Looks fantastic already, you are going to have fun finishing it off and watching it all settle in.
collins99

Post by collins99 »

And by coincidence there is a meet coming up soon at a place called AKAMBA just the place to go to add to your collection :lol:
I know i cant wait Mark , Ive been saving up for a while (just for the petrol :lol: :lol: )so hopefully i should come back with a good haul . And maybe a few pounds heavier after all the bacon sarnies :lol: :lol:

nick...
collins99

Post by collins99 »

Petefree wrote:...you are clearly very handy with a saw (as well as a cleaver...)
Pete
You wont be saying that Pete when you see the state of my fingers or whats left of them ...

Only joking :lol: :lol: still have my fingers , so far .....

nick...
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Looks very nice and you have obviously put in a lot of work so well done.
Can I give you a couple of tips for when you lay more decking,

Keep the steps even, people will trip on different hieght steps.
Stagger joints in timber as it makes the construction much stronger.
Bear in mind direction of decking fluting, if you have too many different directions or if you run into walls then it can be a nightmare to brush off.
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

Looks really good Nick, I really like the Bamboo fence.
It's gonna look even better when the plants fill out this summer.

D.
Don

Post by Don »

collins99 wrote:
I know i cant wait Mark , Ive been saving up for a while (just for the petrol :lol: :lol: )so hopefully i should come back with a good haul . And maybe a few pounds heavier after all the bacon sarnies :lol: :lol:

nick...
You will emerge from that meeting a wiser and better person and a lot of POUNDS lighter
:wink:
Mark

Post by Mark »

And after meeting Don.......scarred for life :ahhh!: :lol: