Cestrum fasciculatum

GARYnNAT

Cestrum fasciculatum

Post by GARYnNAT »

I bought this plant from Shrublands Park Nursery several years ago having seen it in flower in the nursery,
cestrum_fasciculatum_2.jpg
it was sold as a conservatory plant and the min temp on the label is 5c, we have always brought it indoors for winter but it does not like the dry heat. this winter we decided that it would have to take its chances outside in the duvet tent. when i tidied up the garden a few weeks ago i found the plant not under the duvet tent but just up against the house :oops: , i moved the pot down the end of the garden with the intent of emptying it onto the compost heap. Yesterday however i noticed it was growing :shock: not quite the conservatory plant i was lead to believe having taken -6.9c outside
garden april 09.jpg
Might get planted out in a sheltered spot in the new garden :D

Gary
Nathan

Re: Cestrum fasciculatum

Post by Nathan »

Ooh that's pretty! :) I always completely ignore (within reason) the minimum temperatures given for plants & just give them a go outside, loads I have lost but many have surprised me & have thrived outside. I often think that the only way to know for sure if you can grow a certain plant outdoors is to simply try...
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Gary, this is another form of Cestrum [C.Fasticulatum?] thats proven to be hardy for me outside, like yours its defoliated over winter but is now begining to come back from its dormancy.
This one has just stood outside all winter in a pot with no protection.

[Edit; My one is Cestrum Elegans.] :oops:
Attachments
garden 026.JPG
Last edited by Nigel Fear on Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Gary
That Cestrum is very nice!
I spoke to Gill at Shrublands last weekend. She's hoping to compile a list of the "conservatory plants" that have survived the winter despite a heating failure which saw min temps hit around -5C. A lot of the plants were damaged, but she's been pleasantly surprised by some of the stuff which wasn't damaged at all, and also some of the planting which looked done for but is now showing signs of regrowth.
Those plants may well be good contenders for growing outside in favourable positions.
I sent the HTUK link to Gill and hopefully she will join up :D
Pete
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Pete i had a look at Shrublands nursery website today, there is an updated price list for the conservatory plants, unfortunately the cestrum is not on it. I was hoping to get a Russelia from them this year, I sent gill an email a few weeks ago about them and she was going to check if they had survived, she though the lemon one had but I have since lost the email when my email crashed. alas neither forms are on the new price list :(
The RHS plant finder lists it sold at Shrublands, Hill House and the old walled garden. shrublands do not list it any more, hill House are sold out, the walled garden list it but i really do not like buying plants mail order without looking at the plants in real life, maybe i need to see if Shrublands had any that made it?

Gary
bodster

Post by bodster »

i had one of these in the garden. I'm pretty sure the winter killed it off though :(
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Which Martin the Cestrum or the Russelia? I know Ade has/had a Russelia. i know its not hardy but a nice plant none the less :D As i said in the first post the Cestrum was not supposed to be hardy but this one has come through fine :D

Gary
bodster

Post by bodster »

cestrum Gary
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Cheers Martin, how low did you get?

Gary
bodster

Post by bodster »

very cold!
rpunter

Post by rpunter »

The Mexican plant Cestrum fasciculatum –had it in a pot for about 20 years in cold greenhouse but it has never done much.
In this untypically mild winter it’s extended a stem and burst into flower.
To be fair it has done a bit of flowering before but not as good as this - and so welcome in winter.
How do I show a photo of it?