Spring can be expensive (Brahea edulis)

lucienc

Spring can be expensive (Brahea edulis)

Post by lucienc »

Slightly hungover (yay to HTUK standard measure red wine on Thursday night), Laura and me headed out yesterday to Creative Plants public open week, I know I can phone and pop over any time, but I would need to know what I wanted to buy then! I wasn't expecting to spend so much, but then again I had seen the large Brahea edulis on their website. Laura spotted two of them, and you know you're in trouble when the conversation is about which is the better of the two and exactly where in the garden it would go.

And then - what's the best way to work off a hangover ? Dig an f'ing big hole and plant a new palm. You can never have enough plants, and there is always room for one more.

Laura did an excellent job of supervising and taking the photos.
DSCN1225.JPG
DSCN1226.JPG
DSCN1227.JPG
DSCN1236.JPG
DSCN1237.JPG
Lucien
kentgardener

Re: Spring can be expensive (Brahea edulis)

Post by kentgardener »

Title = "Spring can be expensive"

How much did it cost? .....

Jx
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

Won't say in public John, have PM'd you.

All I can say is prices in Europe have gone up, let alone the Pound to Euro exchange rate that is now in place.

I was happy with how much I paid for the plant I got. Nothing compared to the small price for the small one we all got at the UKO Mulu meet.

That small one has grown well and not shown slightest bit of damage in the cold, even with this cold winter, hence why I'm happy to try a bigger one.

Lucien
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Lucien is that a paulownia in the last pic.
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

lee-ann wrote:Lucien is that a paulownia in the last pic.
Yep :) On another thread we choose where to put it (full sun) so in it went yesterday. It was in the greenhouse all winter until then. (I know it could have been outside).

Lucien
bodster

Post by bodster »

i got a nice one of these from akamba. they are good looking palms
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

It looks great mine looks like a stick with a couple of nobuals ( I would have used another word but I know what they're like on here :roll:
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

bodster wrote:i got a nice one of these from akamba. they are good looking palms
They look as nice as washy's but stay in leaf all winter.

When I was new to palms, like most, I couldn't understand paying more for something that looked "just the same". Now I can see the extra beauty in it. We are sure these are possibly what was around the pool on holiday in Orlando, then again we might be wrong.

Lucien
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Is it hardier than the washy I dont seem to have much luck with them.
bodster

Post by bodster »

The brahea brandegii i got from akamba is pushing out spears very well at the moment. It seems like a nice grower
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

lee-ann wrote:Is it hardier than the washy I dont seem to have much luck with them.
For me yes. Not one leaf lost on the small one in winter, the washy's lost all. The washy's are already pushing leaf 2 and 3 this year.

Only issue, a lot lot slower growing. Probably had 4 or 5 leaves on the small one in 2 years.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

themes

Post by themes »

Those palms like fantastic Lucien. Very envious alien alien
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

That's a nice looking specimen Lucien, no wonder you were smitten :mrgreen:

Glad to hear that your smaller edulis has been doing well for you. Ours gets bad leaf burn after winter and even spear pulled last year. This winter it got bad leaf burn again but I'm not sure if it will spear pull this time.

It sent out five new leaves when I kept it in the pot but only sent two leaves once planted out, probably putting its energy into expanding its roots. I suspect it will start to show more vigour despite being set back by the nasty winter we've just had.

I love the look of this palm and its blue leafed cousin Armata icon_thumleft
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

My Armata has been the first palm to put on really noticable growth this spring. It is in a lovely warm position in a pot.