too much variagation?

bodster

too much variagation?

Post by bodster »

Heres an interesting question. How do you stop a plant becomming too variagated? Heres my variagated clivia. Ive noticed that the newer leaves are becomming almost totally white (the flash makes it cream coloured in the closeup).
Attachments
variagated clivia 04_2009.JPG
variagated clivia close 04_2009.JPG
bodster

Re: too much variagation?

Post by bodster »

incidentally just to show this isn't a new thing, heres the same plant last year. Since it cant live without green bits. could this be terminal variagation? Its a shame as its a really nice plant
Attachments
variagated clivia.jpg
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Id like to know if this can be done as well!

I have some variegated Alocasia macs that I rescued from the undergrowth last year but havent had too much luck since... This one in the photo only produces albino leaves now and is only surviving on an old leaf that has some chlorophyll, but once this leaf dies I think the plant is toast. The albino leaves are quite small as you can see, dont live very long and burn easily in the sun...

I have another one that only produces leaves without the white variegation - only mottled shades of green. It was from the same clump as the other one, originally from the same plant so are clones but they are as different as night and day...

If anyone has the answer please let us know! :(

That sure is a nice plant Martin - I hope you dont loose it...
Attachments
DSCF0698.JPG
bodster

Post by bodster »

thanks Sean. i was beginning to think nobody was interested! I hope your alocasia survives. Its an odd problem isn't it? Most of the time we're worried that variagation will disappear rather than take over
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Martin, I don't know that you can control the variegation, although Mark said acidic soil enhances variegation, so maybe a less acid soil would work.

Sean, the Albino A.mac does look doomed unless it grows some greener leaves. The thing I have found is that variegated plants can throw out albino pups, the only way to save these is to leave them attached to the parent with some green. I have a variegated Fatsia which has a pure white pup, which lurks in the shadows. I have resisted taking it off as I'm sure it cannot survive on it's own. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ChrisG »

A lot of my variegated plants seem to develop unevenly on each side, ie. one half of the plant has considerable more variegation than the other. My understanding is that if pups form they will take the variegation from that side of the plant, ie pups that form on the almost white side stand a good chance of being totally white. As Dave said, they will not survive on their own. The Clivia looks like it may just continue to have some green on one side of the plant, at least for the near future. I Alocasia does not look so lucky, so hope you get a partially green leaf soon.
bodster

Post by bodster »

I did move the plant out into the conservatory to get more light as its quite slow growing. Its possible its adapting to light levels. I dont know if variagated plants do that
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

bodster wrote:I did move the plant out into the conservatory to get more light as its quite slow growing. Its possible its adapting to light levels. I dont know if variagated plants do that
An interesting thought - I have no idea, but an interesting thought all the same.

Cheers

John
simon

Post by simon »

Martin, I think there is no such thing as too much variegation, i.e. if it becomes totally white it is no longer variegated :wink: . :D
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Martin, I think the answer is to send it to me.

I have read somewhere that a sure way to prevent too much variegation is to ensure they live in West Yorkshire (and not Don)! :D

Very nice plant btw.
themes

Post by themes »

Its my observation that the more light the more the likelyhood of varigation. I have seen plants like phormium in shade lose their varigation and revert to greener colours...just a thought
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Agave americana :roll:
Attachments
HPIM1066.JPG
bodster

Post by bodster »

I would like to clarify I have no problem with the white leaves as long as the plant doesn't drop dead as a result :) I love this plant. its one of my favourites. I was more worried before the variagation would dissappear rather than take over!
Tog Tan

Post by Tog Tan »

From what I know, Variegation in plants is recessive, so it's basically a weak plant hanging on the threads of its bits of green for food. Also many of them are not stable in the continuous production of variegation. I have been obsessively collecting variegated plants for quite a while. If the situation is let as it is, it will turn albinistic and die of starvation. What I have done in the past is to remove the high white leaves as long as the body stock is strong and let it come up with another leaf hoping it will have green on it. If nothing is done, it is very much a lose-lose situation.

On Variegated plants turning green, I do the same thing to remove the all green leaves. If it is left on, the plant will build up the strength and go all green after a while.

In general culture, I only foliar feed my Variegated plants so that they get just enough nutrients. It is a sad situation for them in keeping them sickly beautiful.

On the other hand, some plants will go lutino with pure yellow foliage and they can manage well cos it's not albinistic. I think Lee-ann's Agave americana is such a plant.

Bodster, your plant is in perfect condition and is not overly variegated. However, Ken's Aslocasia macrohiza needs to have the white leaves removed. In his case, the feeding of some fert should help it generate leaves, hopefully with green.

All the best.
bodster

Post by bodster »

Thanks tog tan. I was worried about the new leaves that have not much green on them