they do weigh a lot dont they? I almost put my back out moving my large one
lee-ann

Re: Ivor Biggun

Post by lee-ann »

Are you keeping them in pots. :)
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

lee-ann wrote:Are you keeping them in pots. :)
For a while at least. We have this ongoing thing about moving west so i am hedging my bets and potting them at the moment :D
Simba

Post by Simba »

Whoever said that size doesn't matter....?? :roll:

Looks like you got them via mail order..tell us more...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Were they delivered :?: I have a 1 foota, a 3 foota, and am on the lookout for a biggun. :D I have this hankering for a group of three, all differing heights, but as the other two are already planted I will have to buy three. :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GARYnNAT »

Dave Brown wrote:Were they delivered :?: I have a 1 foota, a 3 foota, and am on the lookout for a biggun. :D I have this hankering for a group of three, all differing heights, but as the other two are already planted I will have to buy three. :ahhh!:
Dave how you going to explain 3 away?

"look what popped up last night dear" :D :lol: :lol: :D

Gary
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Dave Brown wrote:Were they delivered :?: I have a 1 foota, a 3 foota, and am on the lookout for a biggun. :D I have this hankering for a group of three, all differing heights, but as the other two are already planted I will have to buy three. :ahhh!:
Dave

they had a fair selection of them at Crews Hill Gardening Club on the weekend. It only took Steve 45 mins to drive me there so wouldn't take long from you either. Of course you have to allow for the Dartford crossing.

John
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kentgardener wrote:
Dave

they had a fair selection of them at Crews Hill Gardening Club on the weekend. It only took Steve 45 mins to drive me there so wouldn't take long from you either. Of course you have to allow for the Dartford crossing.

John
Yes, that place sounded quite impressive, puzzled why we have never heard about it before. If only 45 mins maybe one of the closest decent GC for here. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by musa_monkey »

Dave, exactly the effect i was after. I had a icle one for years so got these 6 and 3 foot specimins. If fact they turned out to be 6 1/2 and 3 1/2 ft so all the better.

They came from Seagrave, delivery cost was £24 but with that factored in they were still cheaper than anything i could find locally - let alone lift :shock:

Very nice they are to and both about to put out fronds :D
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Dave Brown wrote:Yes, that place sounded quite impressive, puzzled why we have never heard about it before. If only 45 mins maybe one of the closest decent GC for here. icon_thumright
The only downside is the £4 to cross the river and £5 annual membership to buy stuff :roll: (well the other downside is my bank statement that arrived this morning - I am sure I went for fish food and soil an came away with £78 worth of plants instead! :lol: and the poor fish are still having to munch winter food). If you had the patience you could easily spend a day going from place to place - but 3 different nurseries was my limit!

John
jezza

Post by jezza »

I saw 'ivor biggun' as the subject heading and instantly thought of the winkers song :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kentgardener wrote: The only downside is the £4 to cross the river and £5 annual membership to buy stuff :roll: (well the other downside is my bank statement that arrived this morning - I am sure I went for fish food and soil an came away with £78 worth of plants instead! :lol: and the poor fish are still having to munch winter food). If you had the patience you could easily spend a day going from place to place - but 3 different nurseries was my limit!
John
Went to my mother's in South Benfleet yesterday and was a nightmare journey. Took 40 minutes in the queues to pay the Dartford Crossing Tax, which has gone up by 50% :shock: They keep saying the charges are to reduce congestion, but if everything didin't have to stop to pay, there would be no congestion. :roll:

Anyway back on subject, Mark was saying that 6ft+ Dicksonia antarctica was £100 at Crews Hill. Might be worth suffering the Toll queues for that price. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

Dave Brown wrote:Anyway back on subject, Mark was saying that 6ft+ Dicksonia antarctica was £100 at Crews Hill. Might be worth suffering the Toll queues for that price. :wink:
Yes - and 8ft ones were £120. (last weekend was 10% off for Easter too - could be worth phoning them to ask when the next discount day is? Possibly May Bank Holiday weekend? And that is not far away now).

John