Impatiens Omeiana.

Nigel Fear

Impatiens Omeiana.

Post by Nigel Fear »

Got one of these last year, but undecided wether or not to split it and try to multiply it and keep it ticking over in pots for another year,or just wack it in the ground and wait till either Autumn or next spring.

Anyone had one of these dillema's before? [I'd eventually like a little understory of it].
Attachments
147.JPG
JonK

Re: Impatiens Omeiana.

Post by JonK »

Bung it in the ground. I've had one for several years now and it seems perfectly hardy (I normally get -5c). It is already in full growth and spreading around nicely. It does better if the soil is damp.

Jon
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Thanks Jon, does it set seed too?
The idea is to distribute it in other areas. :D
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I'd definitely agree with JonK - Nigel - get it in the ground. As Jon says it does need quite a bit of moisture - it wilts VERY quickly if it gets a bit dry, but if you catch it in time it always perks up again. It also spreads a bit if it's happy (I grow it in part to full shade in a couple of spots in the garden). It's never set seed for me, but you can tease stems with a few roots on away from the edge of the clump and grow these on in pots until the get going.
It's a lovely plant.
Pete
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Thanks both of you for the advice.
I'm quite impressed with it after its long winter just languishing in its pot.
The leaves have already started taking off nicely, I was expecting it to be reasonably hardy but didn't think it would make an appearance until much later in the season. :D
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I got hold of one of these this week, one from the wish list, and decided to split it as I am not convinced it will be hardy for me.

Rather than just chop it up I teased the roots apart and ended up with one main plant and about 5 small plants each with just one strand of root; not at all what I had intended and the 'pups' look a bit vulnerable, but I will be very happy if they all survive.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Mick C wrote:I got hold of one of these this week, one from the wish list, and decided to split it as I am not convinced it will be hardy for me.

Rather than just chop it up I teased the roots apart and ended up with one main plant and about 5 small plants each with just one strand of root; not at all what I had intended and the 'pups' look a bit vulnerable, but I will be very happy if they all survive.
Mick, we'll have to compare notes later on to see what the best method was.
I'm going to do what Jon and Pete say's. [though if a little piece falls off with roots attached I'd be happier]
:idea:
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Yes, will do Nigel. Nice plants, I was very pleased to find it.
tony

Post by tony »

Mines been in the ground 3 years, gets no winter sun at all, suffered at least -8 the last two winters and 12 inches of snow for over a week, and Im glad to say its popped up again no trouble and has spread nicely . As far as Im concerned its hardy so get it in!
Simba

Post by Simba »

That's a really nice looking plant....
If I had some space available, I'd be adding it to my wanted list for sure..... :D
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

I've recently aquired two forms of Omeiana from crug and they have been wilting in their pots even in part shade and will be going into the ground soon. All the impatiens that I have are mulched with Bracken to give them that little extra protection.
Talking of wilt I have just had to move my Tinctoria as it is in full sun now that the Eucalyptus that shaded it has gone When planting this variety take care where you plant it as moving it can cause a hernia...
14-4-09 006_t.jpg
14-4-09 009_t.jpg
JonK

Post by JonK »

I have two forms of Omeiana, the one you show plus one with more silvery green leaves and paler flowers. It is also larger.
Neither have ever set seed but slowly creep around providing a large clump within a few years if they are happy.

Jon
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

does the hardyness include the ones currently at morrisons!!impatiens new guinea??
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

No chance bobby :(

Gary
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

hahahah typical cheers gary