Purple Foliage

Neil

Purple Foliage

Post by Neil »

Morning guys, I am looking to acquire an architectural/ tropical looking plant (not tree) with large purple foliage/leaves. Any ideas. Thanks, neil. :D
GARYnNAT

Re: Purple Foliage

Post by GARYnNAT »

Persian Shield Strobilanthes dyerianus

http://www.gardeningdirect.co.uk/Strobi ... lt,pd.html

Gary
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

good call gary is it hardy???
i have used some ligularia deep red burgundy leaves good for first timer like me large leaves.
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

bobbyd44 wrote:good call gary is it hardy???
i have used some ligularia deep red burgundy leaves good for first timer like me large leaves.
no bobby but its easy to overwiner and easy from cuttings, the metalic shean on the leaves is fab :D

Gary
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

wow, nice plant i want one :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The purple leaved Ricinus are good as annuals, and reach a fair size during the season. It is not too late to sow now as so fast growing :wink:

I also like Heuchera Palace purple which is hardy.

Then there is Ensete maurelli and montbelliardii
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

Ricinus New 'Zealand purple'
Canna 'Australia'
Xanthasoma violacaeum
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Cannas as simon suggested, how about Cordylines, theres the newish Cordyline 'firecracker' a dwarf sport from one of the reds, theres Cordyline 'festival grass' (actually not in B+Q) that has great colour.
Ricinus 'NZ purple' as already mentioned is a nice plant.
I also have a nice Japanese Acer, cant remember which one but it has a low habit and mixes superbly with silver like Brahea armata.
Theres Phormiums, Hilliers have an extremely nice one out called 'all black'
I have a Cotinus (smoke bush) that gives great purple colour and can be cut back hard to keep in shape, theres also Sambucus.
Theres plenty out there.
Charles

Post by Charles »

Wherever I've gardened I've always grown Cimicifuga ramosa,the tall flower spikes,up to 5ft making a very nice contrast to the purple leaves.There are quite a few cultivars available.
Charles
Essexman

Post by Essexman »

Rheum palmatum 'tanguticum' is a pleasant herbaceous perennial with real presence.
In terms of shrubs consider Cotinus Royal purple and Physocarpus Diabolo.
Neil

Post by Neil »

On my way home from work I spotted a beautiful purple foliage plant in somebody's front garden. But being the shy guy I am, was reluctant to knock on the door or take a photo. Would anybody have an idea from this description: Deep purple heart shaped leaves approx 3-4 inches long/ 2 inches wide with serrated edges and long stalks approx 8-10 inches, the leaves also looked veined. If anyone can I know you guys can. Thanks, neil :D
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Hibiscus acetosela is a very good purple foliage plant growing to about 5ft tall. It is sometimes sold as 'red shield' but I've only ever seen plants for sale once before. Easy from seed.
Andy
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Sorry Neil, you have to get pics mate :lol:
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Charles wrote:Wherever I've gardened I've always grown Cimicifuga ramosa,the tall flower spikes,up to 5ft making a very nice contrast to the purple leaves.There are quite a few cultivars available.
Charles
I really like them too, Charles - but they don't like my very sandy soil here - they used to grow well on the heavy clay back in the midlands for me though. Aren't they Actaea now?

Pete
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Persicaria 'Red dragon'?
[to the left of the picture]
Attachments
012.JPG