gunnera this year

daz

gunnera this year

Post by daz »

My gunnera looks like its going to make a nice size this year.Its already bigger than it was last year :D
Attachments
gunnera 11.5.09.JPG
gunnera 10.5.09.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: gunnera this year

Post by Dave Brown »

Nice one daz, It won't go short of water there, so if the get half a summer it will really take off. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by daz »

I hope so dave.As you can see mate i planted them over the other side of the stream so thay[6 of them :oops: ]can all get as big as thay want.The bigger the better icon_thumleft
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Looking great, Daz - I see you've got a flower there, too! I lost the growing tip on mine and I thought it was dead until about three weeks ago, but it's sent out three shoots from the base - tough as old boots!!! I doubt it will get to a big size this year because it's basically starting from scratch, but I'll treat it mean and hopefully we'll get some bigger leaves next year. I might also give it a little more protection just to ensure we don't lose the growing points again if we get another Winter like the last!
daz

Post by daz »

To be honest pete what i do in winter is probably a bit of an over kill but i lay the leaves over the crown as you do ;then i also through a bit of fleece for good measure :wink: I think for the sack of 5 mins a year if it helps then why not!!!!!!!!!!!.I can't wait till september it thay should be huge well i hope so anyway :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

daz wrote:can't wait till september they should be huge well i hope so anyway :lol:
Are you wishing the summer away :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by bobbyd44 »

mine is going well as not really that much water but plenty of feed but i doo still have straw round the base. only planted last sept!!
the biggest elave is allready over2 foot wide
Attachments
PICT0233.JPG
PICT0232.JPG
daz

Post by daz »

Wow bobby thats a belter mate that one isn't it.Thay grow so very quick dont thay.I go to work at 6 come back at 3pm and i swear it's grown :lol: I should think your will be massive by the end of the summer mate icon_thumright
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

i am hope so daz its in the corner of the bed i dug fro tropicles still a few plants waiting to go in, so hope they doo as well as the gunnera... icon_thumleft
daz

Post by daz »

Good luck mate im sure it will look great icon_salut Look forward to the pics as the year progreses mate icon_thumright
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

They take a few years before you start to get the really big plants. Those bulbous bases get huge and then you get the tall plants with huge leaves. Stick with them for a few more years yet Daz.
Shame I have no pics of mine when I used to grow them, it was last century and Ive lost all pics before the mellenium.
daz

Post by daz »

Thats what im wanting adrian .I want them to get tall aswell as big leaves because thay will help to screen the other side of the stream so im more private.Yea its a sham you have no pics mate'i love to see big gunnera's.I haven't seen any around lincoln [where i live] thay all seem to be down south :roll:There is one on u tube it's titled growth of a giant have a look mate it huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Well as long as it got them through the winter Daz, that's the most important thing! Keep us posted ;)
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

That looks really great, I wish I had a stream in the garden icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
daz

Post by daz »

Thanks andrew icon_salut No probs pete i'll keep ya posted all the way :wink: One day it will be this big
Attachments
giant gunnera.jpg