PUBLIC WARNING - Canna Virus

becky

Re: PUBLIC WARNING - Canna Virus

Post by becky »

iv got rid of my canna indica as i think that was virus, iv had my others for a week now would you advice i throw them too , or wait? they have been about 10 ft away from the indica, iv started the seeds now , thanks lucien 4 them icon_thumright
GARYnNAT

Post by GARYnNAT »

Becky where did you get the canna's from? if they were brought as rhizomes then i would get rid of them unless you know they came from virus free stock. the virus is spread by aphids so if you have virused stock and you have active aphids then you are in trouble. The safest way to aquire Canna's at the moment is from seed, unfortunately seed from hybrids do not come true but you will get some nice new hybrids that may even be better than the parent :D

Gary
becky

Post by becky »

the new ones were from akamba they were just imported from america, so i brought them couse they were just new stock, but they didnt seem to have any signs, il take a picture of them
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Lucien, I did not lose all my canna last year only the ones at the front. the back ones were fine. Maybe I was lucky and caught them before the aphid season. :wink:

Becky, If they have come from America I would guess they are fine. As has been said avoid Dutch ones. I Guess Chris and Kel have sourced from outside the EU, for that reason. Funny, Defra jump all over plants from the US, but turn a blind eye to infected stock coming from the EU :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by becky »

i think il just keep an eye on them , thanks everyone , im growing my seeds now too , icon_thumleft
becky

Post by becky »

can anyone tell me if this canna has the virus please
Attachments
11052009534.jpg
11052009535.jpg
aromagee

Post by aromagee »

Dave

Thanks for info: was just about to order from Palm Centre - will wait a while.

Regards Mavis
simon

Post by simon »

Hi Becky, that is one of the hardest cannas to spot the virus on, as it is already streaky. I think your decision depends on what canna stock you already have. For someone who already has a good collection of clean cannas, it might not be worth the risk, but if you don't have any others you have nothing to loose. If your brasiliensis set seed this year, it won't matter if they get virused because you can bin them and sow new seed next spring. It is thought that the virus is not carried in the seed.

If you can assume american stock is clean, then you should be OK anyway.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have not heard of any reports of Canna virus in the States. Their saving grace being they don't import from Holland. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Simba »

These are my only two Canna to have sprung into life so far.
I have a Striata too, but that isn't showing any signs of growth yet.....

So what is the verdict, do mine look clean or infected...??
Attachments
Tropicana & Brilliant
Tropicana & Brilliant
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

I am going to buy some seeds as i dont want to catch the canna virus.

What is the best way to grow them please? :?: :?:
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

AndrewBird wrote:I am going to buy some seeds as i dont want to catch the canna virus.

What is the best way to grow them please? :?: :?:

Obviously I know I wont catch the virus myself but I dont want my plants to have it :lol: :lol:
Clive

Post by Clive »

Hello

i was hoping for your help on deciding if a few cannas I got this year have the virus.

i was foolish and bought them off ebay as tubers, but since they have started growing 2 (C. musifolia) have just been quite stunted, the leaves are a little variagated and have these kind of light green spots on them. Others seem to have more variation in the leaves than expected althouggh they are growing well

They dont have red spider mite, although it looks like they could, but I think I have over fed them (I was far too keen with my pelleted chicken maure this year)

thanks for your help

Clive
Attachments
C. musifolia
C. musifolia
another C. musifolia
another C. musifolia
another from the same batch
another from the same batch
and another darker leafed one
and another darker leafed one
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

in general canna leaves should be perfect no marks or distortion. i'd suspect virus if it has.

http://www.hartcanna.com/virus.htm has good info and pics
derrick

Post by derrick »

I had canna virus so i chucked the lot burnt them .Cant mistake it stripes in leaves brown edges after the 3 4 leaf you no it It came in from tubers not the plants .I think you can tell on plants if you have it my mistake.If you cut the leaves with cutters you spread it to next plant. .The 1 plant thats standing is flowering looks ok i didnt cut this 1 but are dump it also . Lucky i didnt have to many cannas .Are start next year seeds .I dont think the plants in home base and bq have it .I read dave notice to late on virus.