Lets have some cheery garden pics

bev

Re: Lets have some cheery garden pics

Post by bev »

greg, looks great. you'll be crawling up those stairs soon when the fronds grow, just what a jungle garden needs icon_thumleft

chris, looks very relaxing and private, great work icon_thumleft

cheers

lee
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Not been too good on the weather front recently butmeant to add these a while back and didn't get round to it, so while it is wet and chilly remember this....... Blue Sky icon_thumright
Attachments
310509 FG 01.jpg
310509 FG 02.jpg
310509 FG 03.jpg
310509 FG 04.jpg
310509 P roebelenii 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by themes »

Hope we see more of that Blue sky this summer.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Just a few pictures of colourful flowers, not all of them are exotics, and a few are just plants in their natural surrounding that looks nice and colourful.
Attachments
Good old garden escapees, actually I like these despite their rampant nature! Typical coastal plant!
Good old garden escapees, actually I like these despite their rampant nature! Typical coastal plant!
Not sure what these are, they're either natural or garden escapee, but I imagine these are a weed pretty much everywhere in the UK!
Not sure what these are, they're either natural or garden escapee, but I imagine these are a weed pretty much everywhere in the UK!
Does anyone know what these are? There were loads in Llandudno on walls etc, there aren't as many here, but I've never seen them anywhere else locally - which makes me think they are a limestone loving plant, perhaps Dave B might know?
Does anyone know what these are? There were loads in Llandudno on walls etc, there aren't as many here, but I've never seen them anywhere else locally - which makes me think they are a limestone loving plant, perhaps Dave B might know?
I promised to show some the 10-15feet Echium that was growing in my town, here it is in flower, obviously unphased by the winter!
I promised to show some the 10-15feet Echium that was growing in my town, here it is in flower, obviously unphased by the winter!
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in someones garden, one of the most accessible for photographs, though nowhere near the biggest in Wirral, there's two or three twice that size in Birkenhead
Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in someones garden, one of the most accessible for photographs, though nowhere near the biggest in Wirral, there's two or three twice that size in Birkenhead
Another picture of the plant that seems to make its home particularly in Llandudno - worth noting that in Betws-y-coed they weren't growing there at all, so they must be restricted by dry/warmth?
Another picture of the plant that seems to make its home particularly in Llandudno - worth noting that in Betws-y-coed they weren't growing there at all, so they must be restricted by dry/warmth?
plan b

Post by plan b »

hope this works, a few pics taken this morning..ImageImageImageImageImage
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

stephenprudence ~ the plant in your second picture is Vallerian, it grows everywhere around here too. I'm not sure which plant you mean in the third picture, it looks like an Antirrhinum in flower, I don't recognise the other plant unless it is a Vinca.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

can see you have been fooling us plan b, novice yes yes!!! looks like a great garden some nice plants!! and well established for a beginner :lol:
bev

Post by bev »

hi plan b, looking good there. did you wrap those bananas or did you get away with terrible winter we had down south?

cheers

lee
jezza

Post by jezza »

stephenprudence, the wirral must be a warmer place than buckinghamshire, there were a handful of Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in chesham but they have all croaked it. Only one i have surviving were indoors over winter.
plan b

Post by plan b »

bev wrote:hi plan b, looking good there. did you wrap those bananas or did you get away with terrible winter we had down south?

cheers

lee
hi lee, yes i had to protect the bananas over winters up here, but ive not wrapped them as er the norm, i used cardboard carpet rolls when the worst of the weather was here, which seemed to do the trick :)
bobbyd44 wrote:can see you have been fooling us plan b, novice yes yes!!! looks like a great garden some nice plants!! and well established for a beginner :lol:

hi bobbyd44 i still see my self as a beginner, just found this site which i think could help me out alot :)
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Hi plan b

Missed your post while replying to another!

For a "beginner" you're doing well - good variety of leaf texture there - and already, like most of us I suspect, running out of space.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Hi Plan B
Your garden looks great. Very nice and wellgrown bananas and bamboos and a nice enclosed jungly look.

Stephen: I'd agree with Grenville re the ID of plants in your pics
I think the first one (Pink daisy-like flowers) is Erigeron.
The second is Centranthus rubra (Red Valerian - you often also see a white flowered form) often growing out of walls.
The flowering plant in the other 2 pics really does seem to be Antirrhinum as Grenville says - otherwise known as Snapdragon and widely grown as an annual bedding plant but quite often capable of overwintering and self-seeding.

All nice cheery pictures!

Pete
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

hope so!! has for me plan b, i got all my plants from the end of september last year and still buying.. heheheh which i will be for a while yet i think icon_thumleft
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Thanks Pete, and Grenville for the ID's.

I have to admit I have a soft spot for the Antirrhinum majus, and when they stop flower I'm going to go seed collecting! It's a bonus that they are not hardy too, I couldn't imagine finding them away from the coast (or them surviving, given what I've read about them!)

Pete you're right the first one is Erigeron, it's also 'wallplant' that I like but unfortunately they don't produce seeds (or at least I don't know where seeds form)

It certainly shows you that its not just exotic flowers that can look colourful and nice :)

Watch out for a colourful snapdragon border next summer ;)
themes

Post by themes »

Petefree wrote:Hi Plan B
Your garden looks great. Very nice and wellgrown bananas and bamboos and a nice enclosed jungly look.

Stephen: I'd agree with Grenville re the ID of plants in your pics
I think the first one (Pink daisy-like flowers) is Erigeron.
The second is Centranthus rubra (Red Valerian - you often also see a white flowered form) often growing out of walls.
The flowering plant in the other 2 pics really does seem to be Antirrhinum as Grenville says - otherwise known as Snapdragon and widely grown as an annual bedding plant but quite often capable of overwintering and self-seeding.

All nice cheery pictures!

Pete
Are we just get to see a solitary orange flower?