Lets have some cheery garden pics

Petefree

Re: Lets have some cheery garden pics

Post by Petefree »

themes wrote:Are we just get to see a solitary orange flower?
Sorry Mo - I haven't taken many pics in the garden lately - too busy.
Here are a couple more...
Begonia-taliensis.jpg
Kalanchoe-beharensis.jpg
Impatiens-omeiana.jpg
Persicaria-Painters-Palette.jpg
Pete
themes

Post by themes »

The last two pics are fab POV, love the foliage and the colours.
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Pete - that form of Kalanchoe is a new one to me - most unusual!
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Here's a few from up north Sorry no rocks but how about a bit of slate :D
Attachments
Earlier in the season
Earlier in the season
And now
And now
Recently bedded Waggy, Butia Trachycarpus cannas and gingers.
Recently bedded Waggy, Butia Trachycarpus cannas and gingers.
HPIM1224.JPG
HPIM1225.JPG
themes

Post by themes »

Nice looking Waggy. Is that a Rheum in the last pic Lee-ann?
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Sure is mo looking a bit past its best :(
themes

Post by themes »

I really like it. Mines a tiddler compared to that :oops: :lol: . I have slate in my garden to and really love it. Just finished one raised wall no and going to start on another raised wall and might go for slate if I can get hold of it, I might recycle some stone I have to make the second wall. I have made two lowered area by the wall and created boggy areas. One has a gunnera and an umbrella palm. The other I have put a small rheum in. I was thinking arum lillies or something similar by it.

AndyC had a thread with a Rogersia in it which I liked the foliage of and also Petefree had two great looking plants in the last pic, but knowing Petefree these plants will be very tender and only found on the foothills of the himalayas, I know I need to do some reading up on plants other then palms and ferns icon_study As the balance is a bit wrong. Great Pics chaps and Chapettes..keep them coming.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Great pics Lee-ann. You may lack the summer heat of the south east, but your proximity to the gulf stream is very evident. There is maybe a whole range of plants you can grow that further inland would stand no chance :wink:

This is a bed I have been working on over the last few weeks. I had to dig out 2 great Black Bamboo clumps. It is still not planted up properly but when complete, if ever, I will start a topic on it icon_thumright

Oh, if anyone wonders why I put a Trachycarpus in front of the bed..... I didn't..... it was self sown about 9 years ago :lol:
Attachments
090609 1712 new bed.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Petefree »

Chalk Brow wrote:Pete - that form of Kalanchoe is a new one to me - most unusual!
It's not so much a thing of beauty as a talking point, Grenville. I do like its rusty coloured fuzzy leaves though - and the leaves get quite big. It's supposedly extremely easy to prop. You just break a leaf off, leave it on the bench, and little plantlets form at the broken base of the petiole. I could probably send you a leaf if you wanted to give it a go...
Pete
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Dave, I cant wait to have the Trachycarpus sowing problem, because while it must be a pain to pull all the seedlings out, it must give you some satisfaction that an exotic plant that you enjoy having in your garden, enjoys being there too! It's one of those 'good' problems I imagine!

Nice photos so far - I'll put up some more when the weather plays ball and things start to flower properly. I have a Passionflower actually that is very close to flowering and probably would have already if it wasn't for the cold start to summer everything has endured.
irish dave

Post by irish dave »

Looking good Dave icon_thumleft
themes

Post by themes »

Nice beds Dave and terraced too icon_thumright I see those rocks in the foreground, are they for my benefit? Is that Waggy from Trudy?
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

themes wrote:also Petefree had two great looking plants in the last pic, but knowing Petefree these plants will be very tender and only found on the foothills of the himalayas

:lol:
Do you mean the last 2 pics I posted in this thread, Mo? If so they are Impatiens omeiana and Persicaria 'Painters Palette' - both of which have been in the ground unprotected for a few years here.
Pete :wink:
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Dave Brown wrote:This is a bed I have been working on over the last few weeks. I had to dig out 2 great Black Bamboo clumps. It is still not planted up properly but when complete, if ever, I will start a topic on it icon_thumright
Dave, having visited your garden on numerous occasions I have been looking at the picture and racking my brain as to where this is in your garden. Is it on the left at the back behind the pond?

Cheers.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mo, the garden has always had 3 terraces, just they were not easy to see. The rocks were stoping the soil washing down the lower bank. I removed these when I put the log border in place :wink: These are going to be used for the raised arid bed around the Chamaerops icon_thumright

John, That bed had changed completely which is maybe why you are having trouble placing it. The bed is between the Washingtonia down at patio level, and the Decking, or on the left hand side of the path up to the decking :wink:

Perhaps this pic puts it's position into perspective. icon_thumright 180 degree panorama of the back garden. Sorry not the best light as it was 20:25 :roll:
Attachments
140609 Panarama Back Garden 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright