EASTBOURNE challenges TORBAY!

Ali K

Re: EASTBOURNE challenges TORBAY!

Post by Ali K »

SteveW wrote:
Steve, I know you don't care but I think Pseudopanax is now Neopanax :D
Ali-of course I care :lol:
Just couldn't be bothered to look it up,neopanax rings a bell though.If I'd have thought about it for a bit I would've remembered thats what its now called icon_study is it still lateus do you know?

Chalkbrow-Thats definitely a kalopanax,the fatsia form.There is a proper name for it,but............
:oops: :lol:
If you happen to be passing that way of an evening please be on the lookout for any fallen boughs will you,I believe you could quite easily rescue a cutting or 2 from a fallen branch,especially if you've got some secateurs and ziplock bags about your person :wink: :lol:
It's still laetus Steve, I'm onto my third plant now, fingers crossed this one survives.

That would have to be my favourite Kalopanax form and if I'm ever strolling along Eastborne seafront I'll be on the look out for a 'fallen branch' :wink:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Good luck with your latest lateus Ali,if you need another at some point you can have a cutting from mine.Its survived the last 3 winters here and me moving it 3 times perfectly fine :D
I think I may've found the perfect spot for it now too,so it won't get moved again :lol:
25052009578.jpg
You can just make it out next to the 'Montbeliardii' and trampoline(a new addition to the garden since you last saw it :shock: )
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

Chalk Brow wrote:Well hardy! But Eastbourne Parks and Gardens Dept along with a few private gardens near the seafront are doing their best, even if it is a long way off from Torbay's grand offerings.

Along Eastbourne's famous promenades are now numerous palms, Cordylines, Agaves, Scheffleras, Hedychiums, Cannas, a Musa and other exotics. I don't know how long they've been there, they weren't there when I left Eastbourne in the distant past but they were when I returned in 1997. I looks as if nothing has been done to the plantings since the winter other than a little tidying up, so everything that's there came through the winter.

All these plantings (apart from the few in private gardens) are only with a few metres of the high tide mark, so benefit considerably from the moderating effect of the sea, most of the palms and Agaves also have an evergreen hedge on the seaward side protecting them from the worst of the winds. The few palms that have been planted on the banks on the lower promenade where they are fully exposed so far are not doing so well.

I'll start with some of the palms, and then add the others. Any confirmation of identities would be welcome.

very very nice photos Grenville icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
An insperation to everyone here icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Ali K

Post by Ali K »

SteveW wrote:Good luck with your latest lateus Ali,if you need another at some point you can have a cutting from mine.Its survived the last 3 winters here and me moving it 3 times perfectly fine :D
I think I may've found the perfect spot for it now too,so it won't get moved again :lol:
25052009578.jpg
You can just make it out next to the 'Montbeliardii' and trampoline(a new addition to the garden since you last saw it :shock: )
Wow Steve, I wouldn't have recognised it (the whole garden that is). You have been busy and it's looking really great icon_thumleft

Is that another Manihot I see planted in front of the maurellii? I planted mine out last week, it had been growing well in the greenhouse. Thankyou so much for giving it to me, I love it.

& thanks for the laetus offer, I planted the latest one last year and fleeced it overwinter, it's looking good (but small) at the mo. The first one was lost during a very cold, wet winter years ago at my last house. Then I lost another recently after the 50ft Eucalypt which gave it shelter and dry soil fell over in gales. My Neopanax arboreus is another story - must be about 8ft tall now and growing fast!
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Steve,

did you do something to stop the Leylandii hedge sucking all the moisture out of that bed in the end?

I can't remember if you did - if not.... you are goning to have a BIG watering job every day this summer!

John :lol:

(and maybe your neighbour will have a 40ft hedge by October too :evil: )

p.s. is that a 'Hilo Beauty' you managed to keep alive this winter? I lost both of mine even with the best spot in the conservatory. :roll:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Ali-yes indeed that is yet another manihot I've planted out.I was going to leave it potted up,but changed my mind when I saw the other 2 coming to life icon_cheers Only thing is though I'd already ripped one of them out when I noticed a tiny green buds just showing :shock: ,but amazingly the one I ripped out with virtually no roots is starting to reshoot in the greenhouse :D Think you can definitely say these things are hardy and pretty damn tough too after the treatment this ones had :lol:

John-My neighbours hedge was treated to a severe ticking off last year when I dug down along my boundary to around 2ft severing its roots on my side and sticking a plastic barrier in :twisted:
Its done my garden the world of good ever since :D
The hilo has spent all of its life so far in the bathroom,but this spring Kez had had enough of it in there,so out it went :lol: It'll come back in in the autumn though,no matter what :twisted:
I'll take a pup off for you if you want?and theres a manihot here aswell thinking of it.Thats if you want one of course :wink:
photonbucket

Post by photonbucket »

Wow, I'm realy shocked by the adventurous planting there. We don't have anything like that in Suffolk despite the reasonable climate.

I know Southampton tries it' best too, but nothing like those pictures.

Apologies for being away. I have been really busy at work. :D
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Ali ~ I think you are right about Kniphofia caulescens, on the strength of it I've purchased some seed; arrived today and is sown ~ now just waiting, the vendor warns they can be slow!
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I thought members might be interested to know that that the date of planting of most of the plams, agaves and other exotics on Eastbourne seafront has been confirmed by a friend who used to work for Eastbourne Parks and Gardens as c.1996.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

... Kalopanax septemlobus ...
Not sure why they're including that as a "tropical", it is hardy down to well below -40°C in eastern Siberia.