Oranges & Lemons

daftbanana

Oranges & Lemons

Post by daftbanana »

Following my recent post about my grapevine, do you think we could ever see some 'cold hardy' varieties of fruits such as oranges and lemons here in the UK that could grow outdoors in our temperate climate or am I just dreaming hopelessly?!
stephenprudence

Re: Oranges & Lemons

Post by stephenprudence »

Well Meyer lemon is currently the hardiest type of lemon in the UK available... Theyre quite expensive I find compared to the cheaper but more tender Citrus 'limon' (original Lemon). The only Oranges that are sold in the UK seems to be Calamondin oranges which are hopelessly tender. Your best best is to look for citrus substitutes - I'm sure there's a Japanese orange or something similar but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will point you in the right direction.

It's worth noting I myself have a Citrus 'limon' but this defoliates every winter, even in our milder winters, so it ends up being a deciduous shrub. Why I haven't spent the money on a Citrus 'meyer' I have no idea, as this would most likely remain evergreen in most of the winters here! I probably will do this soon.
tai haku

Post by tai haku »

Meyers lemon is an awesome plant (although the lemons don't taste like normal lemons). We have had a monster for ages. The only problem is the fruit are so ornamental you don't want to tuck in. My experience with most other citrus has been less positive but I'd be quite keen to give one of the big stripey lemons or a lime a go in a conservatory.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I had quite a knock back with my Citrus this winter and needed a fair bit of cutting back but they are all budding up and pushing out new leaves.
I have Citrus sinensis (the Orange), a Lime, Lemon and a variegated lemon, all these produce regular fruit.
The lemons and limes are used in our drinks through summer and the Koi get the odd orange.
I also have the calamondin orange but thats more decorative although can be used to make marmalade.

Mine are all potted and can be pulled up against a wall for winter, the calamondin goes into an unheated greenhouse.

Yes they can be grown here but no one could class them as hardy.
pete G

Post by pete G »

I've a couple of seed grown Seville orange plants, both were cut back very badly this last winter after doing reasonably well in the last 4 previous winters.
No sign of flowers or fruit as yet though.

I did have a largish clementine that was left unprotected after I moved my greenhouse a few years ago, it limped on for a couple of years but eventually died along with a meyers lemon.

I've not found any citrus to be reliably hardy, its more about finding a good planting position probably on a south or west facing wall.

Poncirus Trifoliata is totally hardy but probably not most peoples idea of what a citrus plant should be, but it does make a good hardy rootstock on which to graft citrus.
Not sure if it helps regarding hardiness of the plant though, as my clementine was grafted onto it, and it still died.

I live in hope that one day someone will geneticly engineer a frost hardy citrus. :lol:
bodster

Post by bodster »

I left a variagated citrofurtunella out and although it did die back a bit its comming back strongly now so its going to be a permanent feature outside from now on
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

This looks interesting!!
Trifoliate orange and hybrids
Poncirus trifoliate

http://users.kymp.net/citruspages/trifoliates.html