Washingtonia roots are growing above ground

eddie

Washingtonia roots are growing above ground

Post by eddie »

Anyone know why the roots of my Washi are growing above the ground? Small roots can be seen at the surface. Is that normal? Do you recommend doing something about it?

Thanks,
Eddie
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
irish dave

Re: Washingtonia roots are growing above ground

Post by irish dave »

Maybe to much palm booster.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

what do they look like? tiny fine roots are common on the surface surrounding a palm,for collecting oxygen or water,something like that
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
ash

Post by ash »

Can also happen if you water it often with small quantity's of water.
themes

Post by themes »

Yours is growing.
eddie

Post by eddie »

redsquirrel wrote:what do they look like? tiny fine roots are common on the surface surrounding a palm,for collecting oxygen or water,something like that
Indeed, small roots at the surface. So maybe it's nothing to worry about. It's growing fast, already making it's fourth leave. I'm giving fertilizer with palmbooster every 1 1/2 week.

I would like to give it small quantities of water but the last few weeks we had tropical showers here in The Hague. Only without the tropical temps... :mrgreen:
sam140

Post by sam140 »

palm is growing :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I would just mulch over the exposed roots. I use gravel :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Cathy »

An Australian at (Newzealander?) :oops: once advised me that it was best to plant Palms shallow "with a few roots poking out" as they HATE sitting in wet ground, so planting them too deeply can cause problems.
As Dave says, you can always mulch over the roots if you are concerned but I find that Palms often insist on growing this way and do not worry about it.
Cathy.
themes

Post by themes »

Cathy wrote:An Australian at (Newzealander?) :oops: once advised me that it was best to plant Palms shallow "with a few roots poking out" as they HATE sitting in wet ground, so planting them too deeply can cause problems.
As Dave says, you can always mulch over the roots if you are concerned but I find that Palms often insist on growing this way and do not worry about it.
Cathy.
Agreed
eddie

Post by eddie »

Thanks for the info. Think i'll mulch the roots with some gravel like Dave said, looks nice and protects the roots a bit.

Good to know that it's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. :D
eddie

Post by eddie »

I've put gravel on the soil today. Looks really nice like there is a piece of Tenerife in the garden.... :D
fgtbell

Post by fgtbell »

I've noticed palms commonly rot exactly at the crown, and while it looks a little odd, I now always plant them with just a few mm of root showing, they don't seem to mind, and it lets the crown dry out properly after it is wetted.

I have bought palms in the past with compost piled up well over the crown, I don't see how this can do them any good at all, and I now always remove it.

If you plant them this way and then decide you can see too much root, you can always mulch them later to bring the level up a bit - I use decorative coarse grit.
themes

Post by themes »

fgtbell wrote:I've noticed palms commonly rot exactly at the crown, and while it looks a little odd, I now always plant them with just a few mm of root showing, they don't seem to mind, and it lets the crown dry out properly after it is wetted.

I have bought palms in the past with compost piled up well over the crown, I don't see how this can do them any good at all, and I now always remove it.

If you plant them this way and then decide you can see too much root, you can always mulch them later to bring the level up a bit - I use decorative coarse grit.
Thats what I go by. Planting them a bit above soil level wont kill them. Rot can