Canary Island Date Palm

MoonCup

Canary Island Date Palm

Post by MoonCup »

Hi everybody!!!

I've just bought several of these, different sizes. Good price for a palm!!!

How good are they in the UK? Reliably hardy? If not is it ok with frost fleece?

Regards,
Sarah
palmking

Re: Canary Island Date Palm

Post by palmking »

Hi Sarah!

In answer to your question. Depends on a number of factors. Several locally got damaged. I had a couple of spear pulls this year, due to the exceptionally long freezes.

However, they have recovered very quickly indeed.

Free draining soil is a must, dig down a couple of foot and mix in some John innes no2 or add sharp sand to John Innes no3 , in the sunniest-South or South west facing location you can find. Thermal bags seemed to do more damage than good to one of mine. Here in South Reddish, it was the ice freezing against the bag I left around the growing point that caused rot and not the absolute cold damage. Tying up the fronds is a better alternative. As Dave (Admin) will tell you, they need free flowing air about these palms to do well and minimise any possibility of wet/cold rot.

Some parts of Stockport, dependant on altitude or rural location will obviously have suffered lower temps than the more urban locations. Woodford reached a low of more than -9C on one occasion but I have issues with the location of that Met office station.

-7 or -8C is about their limit of tolerance without suffering severe damage and anymore is likely to result in fatality without good protection.

My minimum temps didn't go below -5.6C all winter but as you'll remember this last winter was notable for some very low daytime highs.

Phoenix Canariensis does grow well here and there are some larger established plants dotted about.

Have you seen the large ones in Chinatown in Manchester. They're not even protected in winter and look great.

If you need any more advice, anyone on here will be glad to help.

Regards, Paul
Last edited by palmking on Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themes

Post by themes »

palmking wrote:Hi Sarah!

In answer to your question. Depends on a number of factors. Several locally got damaged. I had a couple of spear pulls this year, due to the exceptionally long freezes.

However, they have recovered very quickly indeed.

Free draining soil is a must, dig down a couple of foot and mix in some John innes no2 or add sharp sand to John Innes no3 , in the sunniest-South or South west facing location you can find. Thermal bags seemed to do more damage than good to one of mine. Here in South Reddish, it was the ice freezing against the bag I left around the growing point that caused rot and not the absolute cold damage. Tying up the fronds is a better alternative. As Dave (Admin) will tell you, they need free flowing air about these palms to do well and minimise any possibility of wet/cold rot.

Some parts of Stockport, dependant on altitude or rural location will obviously have suffered lower temps than the more urban locations. Woodford reached a low of more than -9C on one occasion but I have issues with the location of that Met office station.

My minimum temps didn't go below -5.6C all winter but as you'll remember this last winter was notable for some very low daytime highs.

Phoenix Canariensis does grow well here and there are some larger established plants dotted about.

Have you seen the large ones in Chinatown in Manchester. They're not even protected in winter and look great.

If you need any more advice, anyone on here will be glad to help.

Regards, Paul
In summary, go for it
palmking

Post by palmking »

As Mo said -go ahead and plant your grove of palms!

Paul :D
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

They are not very hardy mooncaup but good luck

btw did you know your name is a ladies product i have seen it advertised on the tube :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arctic Nuts

Post by Arctic Nuts »

give them a go sarah. whilst they are not bone hardy in all situations, what do you have to lose. try and plant in the warmest part of the garden but away from walls or permanent structures. if they take off you will need a lot of space between them and anything that doesnt move.
MoonCup

Post by MoonCup »

Thanks for replies guys, you lot seem to be a nice bunch of knowlegeable people :)

Yes, I'm aware that MoonCup is indeed a ladies brand but I've been using this name for many years now, referring to the mystical powers of Tarot Cups, and my pagan beliefs in the Moon Goddess, represented by Diana :)
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

have you planted them yet mooncup :?: :?:
Tom_Hereford

Post by Tom_Hereford »

http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.php?o ... 358&ref=nf
Cruise through here to see my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in Herefordshire west mids :o)