Bromeliads in a Chammy ?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Bromeliads in a Chammy ?

Post by Dave Brown »

I went on to the local GC this morning while dumping plastacine clay soil at the recycling centre, they are next door to each other so would be a blatant waste of petrol not to pop in :wink: They had some small 6cm pot plants of various types, but 2 looked like Bromeliads. These I brought home and have placed in the fibre of the Chamaerops facing away from the sun. see pic.
110709 Bromelaid in a Chammy.jpg
Few questions, well 4 actually.....
Are these actually Bromeliads?
If so what type are they?
How hardy are they?
Will they be happy where I have them?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Bromeliads in a Chammy ?

Post by themes »

am no expert on Bromeliads but I remembered an old thread by Daven22 I think, I learnt alot from this. Heres the link

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... +bromeliad
bev

Post by bev »

i saw the same plants last week for 50p each in a small gc on the a127 upminster,essex. no name, just said assorted houseplants :?

look good though dave!

cheers

lee
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

I think they might be Cryptanthus Dave.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks for the ID John, I think you are correct having looked the name up. Unfortunately I will have to move them as they are called earth starrs and are one of the few truly terrestial Bromeliads requiring being potted, and are not epyphitic :roll: The Cryptanthus Society say the best place for them is under ferns near a pond. The compost should not dry out completely, but must have good drainage.

As Is usual these were potted in pure peat by the grower, which is not the best drained compost, and the roots were rotted on one of them.

They would have looked good in the Chammy but it is not the right place for them :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kentgardener »

Thats a shame Dave. I remember growing them as a kid but couldn't remember their requirements. They did look perfect on the palm trunk - is it worth trying one as an experiement if they were just 50p? Maybe make it a little hesium bag of compost - do I remember us seeing that idea at Adrian's when we drove down last year?
Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris »

I cut the bottom off an old sock, and plant stuff in these. If it's a black sock, you can't see when it's tied to something. The foot from a pair of tights works too and allows for really good drainage. Of course, I get cold toes in the winter, but hey-ho!
AndrewBird

Post by AndrewBird »

they look like the flowers the hula hula girls wear when you see hawayi on tv icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny