IMGP0713.JPG
bobbyd44

Re: Trex lawn

Post by bobbyd44 »

the first t rex forrest!!! or mass produced ebay seedlings!!! :D :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

why cant i get your luck.all i get is poxy walnut trees which nobody wants to swap :cry:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

If you can dig them up with any roots you can have the lot! :lol:
themes

Post by themes »

blimey! this is very worrying but strangely arousing :?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Crikey, I knew they suckered, but that is just plain ridiculous :lol: How many do you reckon you have in all?

Redsquirrel, your'e not alone, I've never had a sucker on mine either.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

:mrgreen: You can have the lawn carol I'll have the trexes :D
TOP BANANA

Post by TOP BANANA »

I went to Crug at the weekend , i cant put any pics on cause my camera is in Preston where my girlfriend lives but was well impressed with the place. i bought 2 Tetrapanax Paprifer Di -Sue -Shan. from there planting hunting expeditions in Northern Taiwan 2007. Sue told me to grow them on for another year before planting out , but might chance 1 out with a bit of protection, dont think they will grow as large as some T-rex. i would love to have your problems Carol :D
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i know its not for you carol as you dig them up but if it were mine id be trimming round them with scissors until i couldnt see the grass and letting the trex go for it.how much more of a natural jungle could you wish for
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
becky

Post by becky »

wow that is fantastic i love it just a shame mine don't grow like that mine are still tiny :(
Nick

Post by Nick »

I would be happy if they grow in my lawn like that, I've planted two within my lawn/bed, grass has to come up next...

icon_sunny
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

I know what you all mean, they are fantastic but they're taking over not only mine but the neighbours garden too, and I'm beginning to feel a distinct sense of panic. He's such a lovely neighbour, and not well so he's unlikely to be impressed so I'm afraid it's weedkiller time. It's taken about 5 years for this to happen so you folks who've only had theirs in for a couple of years and aren't getting the same rate of suckering - panic not, your turn is coming! :ahhh!: I do wonder if it's because I used to remove them and break the suckering rhizome, or whatever it is, that has caused them to explode (there's no other word for it) into growth. Perhaps the warmer wetter weather also pushes them on. I think I need to do some research and find a way to contain their growth, it's much too late to build a barrier.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

So what exactly is the purpose of a Trex lawn??
00000.jpg
00000.jpg (45.9 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hay carolpz,what of the main T-Rex Plant, how big is that, or have you got rid of it and dug it out :?: :?: . I dug one up in the spring this year, it had only been in the ground 1 year so not to big, but I have got 2 pups coming up if the snails would leave them a loan to grow, I can only think if you have not dug the main plant out, perhaps your soil is very stony or not very deep, if it is stony, it could be where the roots have come up to a large stone and there for turned upwards and then put out shoots, also if the soil is not very deep, and it's roots were close to the service that might be the reason it is pupping so much, you've not told us about the parent plant, ie how big it is or where it is planted, do you feed the lawn at all, that might also have something to do with it pupping, can you provide anymore photo's of the main T-Rex and may be one that shows more of the lawn :?: :?:.Now this is all guess work here, but it might spur others into life with my suggestions, who knows suck it and see......

icon_sunny

PS: If you really don't wont so many, just go over them with the mower, weed killer will also kill the main plant in time once it has gone through the root system, and with your pups next door, offer to pull them up for him, they will snap off really easy that young.
weve

Post by weve »

Hi Carol

Your plight has finally prompted me to register with this excellent forum after lurking here for a few months, so this is my first post on HTUK......Hello to all and belated thanks for all the info I've gleaned from the members.

Brief intro. Despite having a degree in Botany and having had two gardening books published in the late 80s I am certainly no expert and i have only been growing "exotics" seriously since 2003. (garden presently undergoing total rebuild -albeit slowly) I am paranoid about introducing invasive plants into the garden since my neighbour planted a particular rampant variety of "Rose of Sharon" as ground cover which took over his garden and most of mine too. So Carol, you really have my sympathies!

I have a T.rex (from Mulu 2007, now 6 foot with 3 branches) entering its third year growing in about a 4 foot diameter circular barriered area (altho' I may enlarge this soon). No problems yet. (But then I've not yet had a sucker).

The only solution I can suggest is to first barrier the parent plant (I don't think its too late, just a bit more of a hassle now) either by (ideally) digging a slit trench around it (if practicable) both to install the barrier and to sever the roots or alternatively dig up your rex, (sorry!) dig a large planting hole, install the barrier and replant either the parent or a sucker. Once the main plant is contained and all roots going beyond the barrier are severed from it, kill the outside suckers with glysophate (On particularly difficult or persistant weeds, i use an artist's paint brush to daub the leaves with undiluted concentrated glysophate. a method which also safeguards surrounding plants ) This will need to be done over a quite a long period, I would imagine, and new suckers treated as they emerge.(If you can have access to your neighbour's garden, it is important to treat these too) Repeat applications on the same sucker may be necessary. However, additional to painting the leaves, on very persistant weeds. I have found putting plastic freezer/sandwich bags, with a drop of undiluted weedkiller inside, over some of the topgrowth, squeezing the bag so it contacts the leaves, then securing the bag loosely round the stem, keeps the leaves in longer term contact with the chemical. This can be very effective and makes repeat applications sometimes unnecessary. (this method works very well on bindweed, at least). Whilst treating the suckers it would be best to avoid any soil disturbance so as not to sever any rex roots etc (including digging the suckers out, which may compound the problem).This will allow the glysophate to be translocated to as much of the underground system as possible. An additional application of feed&weed on the lawn may also help.

I know this sounds like a lot of work and you said no barriers, but it is the only suggestion I can think of, short of killing the whole lot. I personally know of no way of slowing or permanantly controlling the spread otherwise, especially in your neighbour's garden where you can't routinely have access.

(BTW the need to enlarge the size of the barriered area around my own Rex, mentioned earlier, is not to do with its growth, but when my rex is in leaf, rain doesn't get to the soil surface at all, the entire barriered area being under the canopy, so I'm thinking of extending the barrier on one side to beyond the canopy so at least it gets some rain. Planning an asymmetric barriered area from the start might be an idea.)

best wishes on this Carol. I really hope this helps

regards

weve