eucomis pictures

Ali K

Re: eucomis pictures

Post by Ali K »

Dave Brown wrote: Ali, when you say floppy flower does the stem not take the weight of the flower head or something? Sorry about all the questions :roll: Creo nada :lol: , do you lift them in Autumn, or can they stay out :?:
That's right Dave, they just seem to fall over and I had to stake them last year to keep them upright which looked a bit silly. I leave them in the ground overwinter.

I bought some Eucomis montana from Lower Kenneggy this year, they have green leaves with a red edge but no flowers yet. I really like all the Eucomis, even if they don't flower the leaves look good on their own and I think make quite a good bromeliad lookalike substitute.
MoonCup

Post by MoonCup »

Just out of curiosity, do all Eucomis flowers smell of rotting fish?

That was the case with my Bicolour so I got rid of it the moment it bloomed. What a shame!
derrick

Post by derrick »

Dragon arum smells eucomis i dont think so .I like the purple eucomis they look great look good around my maureliis
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

MoonCup wrote:Just out of curiosity, do all Eucomis flowers smell of rotting fish?

That was the case with my Bicolour so I got rid of it the moment it bloomed. What a shame!
I stopped growing Eucomis bicolor for that same reason - absolutely terrible scent. The others don't seem as bad and I do have a couple of unamed seedlings that smell wonderfully of coconut. icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kentgardener wrote:
MoonCup wrote:Just out of curiosity, do all Eucomis flowers smell of rotting fish?

I stopped growing Eucomis bicolor for that same reason - absolutely terrible scent. The others don't seem as bad and I do have a couple of unamed seedlings that smell wonderfully of coconut. icon_cheers
I'll cross that one off my list then..... Is this another rival of Cordyline you either love it or hate it :lol: I suppose you could always cut the flower off once they open.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
simon

Post by simon »

I haven't noticed an unpleasant smell from E. bicolour and it is the first time I have heard anyone else mention it. Perhaps you should try some, Dave and reserve judgement until you smell them for yourself. They usually sell packets of the bulbs in Wilkinson, so they are nice and cheap. That's where I got mine from.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks for that Simon, I have a look next spring. Probably a bit late this year now.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Chalk Brow »

A couple of the Eucomis in the garden, the leaves on 'Zeal Bronze' are very dark and stand about 30" tall. 'Joy's Purple' is not so tall.

'Zeal Bronze'
e Eucomis 'Zeal Bronze' 9831.jpg

'Joy's Purple'
e Eucomis 'Joy's Purple' 9828.jpg
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Hi Grenville

you really have made me doubt myself now! Mine originally came from Graham at Marchants so I was 100% certain they were named correctly. But your Zeal Bronze is showing a very dark stem. icon_scratch and is exactly the same as my Sparkling Burgundy.

Looking on David Fenwick's 'the African Garden' website I can't quite tell.

I really don't know anymore.... Will the real Sparkling Burgundy please stand up. :lol:
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Hi Kent Gardener

If it helps, the three 'Zeal Bronze' came from two different sources, one was Pioneer Nurseries in Letchworth, the other was from a plant sale in the car park at Wisley. I'm not saying that confirms they are 'Zeal Bronze', but if they are not it is quite a coincidence!

Other than that I really don't know icon_scratch
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sorry guys, I may have inadvertantly mislead you :oops: :oops: The Plant was overshadowed by a Canna leaf which I have now removed, and the green flower stem is now turning purple in sunlight. It probably is the same plant as your's John, but what it's real name is I don't know :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Eucomis bi does have a bit of a strange smell But i only noticed when i gave it a sniff its been in my porch for 2 years north facing no sun total shade .the other eucomis dont look the same no spots on stem white flowers smaller
Simba

Post by Simba »

I used to have loads of Eucomis, but pulled them all out last year.

Perhaps not unsurprisingly a few have reappeared this year, but the funny thing is that they have come through tiny, really tiny, in a minature version of their regular size.....

This one is actually no bigger than the nail on my little finger, they look really cute.... :D

Saw some really lovely purple speckled ones at the weekend called "Octopus"...???
Attachments
DSC04087.JPG
norderney

Post by norderney »

Here are some pics of my Eucomis Bicolor

Last year this plant just had 1 single flower stem. This year it has 4 flower stems!!!!

I left it in the garden all through last winter, so was delighted to discover it waking up in May. :D
Attachments
P1020613.JPG
P1020614.JPG
P1020618.JPG