How do you make a T rex grow?

MonkeyDavid

How do you make a T rex grow?

Post by MonkeyDavid »

I bought a T rex in early June & it isn't doing much, i've tried it in the greenhouse which it didn't seem to like much, but outside it hasn't really grown either. I don't know much about it's perfect growing conditions, Does it like sun or shade? high temperatures or average summer temps? Lots of water or not? As it is only a foot high i will leave it in it's pot over winter in the greenhouse but will it be ok outside when it is older?
GARYnNAT

Re: How do you make a T rex grow?

Post by GARYnNAT »

Plant it out, they resent being potted
marfanuk

Post by marfanuk »

David, I agree with Gary - plant it outside.

I got my t-rex last August and planted it straight outside in a position where it would get the most sun. It now has a 6ft diameter, with leaves at around 2 1/2ft wide. The soil is well drained with lots of compost added. It gets chicken manure once a month and miracle grow once a week.

I have had one slight problem with it though and that's black fly. The plants first 7 large leaves are perfect, but the last 4 i had to remove because the little butters had well knackered them. I'm using pest spray once a week now, but any other suggestions would be welcome.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Interestingly mine is potted, in a smallish pot and is growing like mad. Its gone from a pup to approx 4ft tall with some of the leaves circa 1 metre across in a couple of months. I do water and feed it a lot and it does see some full sun. Similar story with a potted Gunnera manicata bought fairly recently. No doubt they may be even better in the ground but i like to have the option to move things around.
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

marfanuk wrote:David, I agree with Gary - plant it outside.

I got my t-rex last August and planted it straight outside in a position where it would get the most sun. It now has a 6ft diameter, with leaves at around 2 1/2ft wide. The soil is well drained with lots of compost added. It gets chicken manure once a month and miracle grow once a week.

I have had one slight problem with it though and that's black fly. The plants first 7 large leaves are perfect, but the last 4 i had to remove because the little butters had well knackered them. I'm using pest spray once a week now, but any other suggestions would be welcome.
Is it possible that it is getting too much feed, resulting in growth which is very soft and so particularly attractive to pests?
marfanuk

Post by marfanuk »

Chalk Brow wrote:
marfanuk wrote:David, I agree with Gary - plant it outside.

Is it possible that it is getting too much feed, resulting in growth which is very soft and so particularly attractive to pests?
Thanks GRENVILLE, my t-rex is now going to have to think about going on a diet!
banton

Post by banton »

i've had mine from last year and kept it in the pot , no problems, just repotted in to bigger pot, once they get established in to the ground they produce suckers and can be invasive best to use a rizhom barrier. They are hungry feeders and also like lot of watering.
Attachments
my garden 001.jpg
my garden 004.jpg
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

banton wrote:i've had mine from last year and kept it in the pot , no problems, just repotted in to bigger pot, once they get established in to the ground they produce suckers and can be invasive best to use a rizhom barrier. They are hungry feeders and also like lot of watering.
Dont quite agree with this, mine hasnt suckered, doesnt get fed, doesnt get watered and this is its third year in the ground, its a friggin monster.
Ill load a pic in a mo (after Ive taken it :lol: )
themes

Post by themes »

i've done nothing and its second year and getting some big leaves. Its growing in shade too. It does not need any help
Chad

Post by Chad »

Several of us find this an almost impossible plant!

Mine has been in the ground for five years. It is in good soil, never gets dried right out [I'm in Cornwall - it hasn't stopped raining for three years] and in light/dapled shade.

It has died to the ground twice [but not last winter when we had -9], and the current shoot is now in its second year and is 4 ft tall. I know it is 'Rex' . The biggest leaves are 12 inches across, and that is the best it has yet done.

I know of suckers from the same plant that have 'just set off' and others that are sulking like mine; some fed, some not; some in sun, some not; some dry, some wet. I can't see any pattern as to what it likes.

Except it doesn't like me.

Chad
themes

Post by themes »

have you tried more than one tetrapanax Chad? maybe you just have a dud plant. Thats weird and its the first time I have heard someone complain about lack of vigour/growth. Its starting to run riots in some parts of fulham. icon_scratch
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

the pics are dark because its getting dark out there now but they give you an idea of what its like.
As I said, its in its third year from a tiny pup and was planted in the ground as soon as I got it, no feed, no water.
Attachments
IMG_3337 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3339 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3340 (Medium).JPG
themes

Post by themes »

Never get tired at looking at your garden. Is that Phoenix canariensis_CIDP on the way to recovery? did you trim it?
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Chad I have 3 spares if you want one. Otherwise it's a ritual burning as I don't need any more of the bloody things in my garden. :twisted:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes Mo its recovering, trim it? yeah a bit as in I cut through the top of the trunk removing everything, it was just a stump a few months back.