Blechnum Chilense

TOP BANANA

Re: Blechnum Chilense

Post by TOP BANANA »

I did not know where to put it so left it there for now, just a small screw holding it up. i got it from a pound shop last year.
themes

Post by themes »

leave it, its not doing any harm. Its just the perspective looked strange, like it was hovering
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

Morin All
I've done OK with my Blechnun's nundun is doing very well indeed with lots of new fronds , chilense has pushed out two or three new fronds so far and looks to be a few more on the way , my gibbum is doing well also, which is interesting because all were kept outside over winter in my makeshift polly tunnel even the B. gibbum but doing well
cheers Stuart
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

My tabulare was hit badly this last Winter with the main growing point dying, but the off shoots are really going for it now with some good growth. I suspect it was -9 in my garden this last Winter - could even have been a tad lower. I did ball fleece it and put a covering of fleece over but this wasn't enough. I shall do better this Winter.

Nudum has been planted out recently and am really impressed with the amount of fronds this one is throwing u p. I put this one roughly the same hardiness as tabulare (is it?) so will also protect in Winter. My chilense is a newcomer and still in it's pot. Nudum hasn't seen a Winter here yet so with a bit more protection that I gave tabulare, I hope will come through okay.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

I think B chilense is pretty hardy - I've never protected it and never had problems with it.
I don't have B tabulare :mrgreen: but I did get B nudum from Akamba last year and it was left out unprotected in a sheltered shady border all winter with no damage and has put on lots of growth this year. Being on the coast I was fortunately spared the really horrific temperatures many got last winter - so the lowest it faced here was probably minus 5C - but as I say, that didn't trouble it at all.
Apart from a slight yearning for B tabulare - the other Blechnum on my wishlist is B magellanicum - I haven't found a good specimen for sale yet - only some weedy looking little things that looked a bit borderline on the survival front to me, and probably hadn't rooted (shipped in as "logs").
Good news on B gibbum, Stuart - I've always thought of that one as rather too tender.
Pete
Stuart Bebb

Post by Stuart Bebb »

Hi Pete,
Yes its very odd about my B.gibbum I bought it as a house plant a few years ago but the past two winters its been outside in a pot I would have brought it inside this past winter but forgot it always loses its fronds but comes back springtime.
cheers Stuart
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Okay thanks for that Pete. So we know that Nudum will take -5 without a problem but has anyone had success with it lower than -5. Not that I'm getting ready for Winter yet, it's just that I want to know how many more things I have to protect.

I agree the Blechnum mag. is a lovely fern (hope you find one soon) especially the colouring of the new fronds. I've only just got into these ferns and am loving them.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.